Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

First time composter suggestions??

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

First time composter suggestions??

Postby wraightj » Apr 20, 2009 9:46 am

Hi Everyone;
I am embarking on composting for the first time and would like some suggestions regarding which brand/style you feel is worth the money. Unfortunately because of the set up of my lot in the sity, I have nowhere to place an open pile, so it will have to be an actual composter. I live in North Bay, Ontario so it will have to withstand long cold winters. Canadian Tire had one on sale, but most sites seem to prefer the 'soil saver'. Any recommendations, and if so the cheapest place to get one?
Thanks so much
Jenn
wraightj

Re: First time composter suggestions??

Postby B_BQ » Apr 20, 2009 10:24 am

I've been composting in a bin for years., and have used several difference models.
I presently have the rolling composter from Lee Valley. This is nice, but not very large, and when there's quite a bit in it it's really hard to spin and also to empty.
I also am now in the market for another one, and this time I'm going to try to find a medium sized one which has a handle with some type of prongs actually inside so that when the composter is turned the ingredients get mixed very well. These apparently do a very good job of composting in about 2 - 3 months.
If you google you will find a good assortment of sizes and prices.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby wraightj » Apr 25, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks so much for your recommendations. I posted an ad on kijiji asking if anyone had any composters they were looking to get rid of.....I I was given 2 for free, all I had to do was pick them up! (not soil savers but the same idea)Then I was given sidewalk slabs to put under them also for free! I am hoping to get a few more if I can, I would LOVE the rolling bin type from Lee Valley but it is just not in my price range.....but you can bet I will keep an eye out! :D
wraightj

Postby sboricic » May 03, 2009 6:21 am

I have brought home wooden skid pallets from work and built my own. So far they have lasted 4 years.
sboricic

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas