Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

preventing hornets/bees in composter????

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

preventing hornets/bees in composter????

Postby wraightj » Apr 26, 2009 2:31 pm

I ahve just obtained 2 composters that people in my neighbourhood did not want, and am about to embark on this adventure.....but I have had several people warn me about hoenets setting up shop in the composter. Has anyone had difficulty with this, or can you offer possible solutions? I was thinking that hanging one of those fake hornet nests right above it might work.
Thanks
wraightj

Re: preventing hornets/bees in composter????

Postby Trailblaze1 » Apr 28, 2009 3:00 pm

I have found that adding fresh mint leaves to my mailbox keeps wasps from nesting in there. We had tried many different ways to discourage them, once they had chosen it as a site. But the mint seems to have done the trick. It might work in a composter, and it's relatively cheap. If you don't have fresh mint, perhaps you can get some from a neighhbour?
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby Rainy » Apr 28, 2009 3:55 pm

In my experience, bee's, wasps and hornets tend not to build their nests in a wet soggy environment.

Keep your compost quite moist, so that it's not dry, but not so wet that you can squeeze any water out with your hands. This is the recommended moisture level for effecient composting anyways.

If you find yourself still having issues with these pests, then hang a trap above your composter. There are some very nice looking ones available through Lee Valley.
Rainy

Postby Eeyore » Apr 28, 2009 5:33 pm

We did have a nest in our composter. It was attached to the lid not in the compost itself so it wasn't that big a deal. We knocked it off (it was very small) and after that we made sure to check every day to make sure they hadn't come back.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby wraightj » Apr 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks for the advice.....one more question.....I read that a composter should not be right on the ground because rodents will dig under it, but nw I am reading that it should in fact be right on the ground because on a sidewak slab (as I was told to do) it will not drain properly and be too soggy. Anyone?
wraightj

Postby Countryboy » Apr 29, 2009 8:14 am

Whoever told u that a composter on a patio slab will not drain must have been standing under one when it was full of water.

'Coz they're all wet. ;) lol
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Trailblaze1 » Apr 29, 2009 9:35 am

Mine are directly on the ground, and never had rodents dig under it. But I did have snakes one year......found it interesting. They were maybe eating the rodents! nature can be very co-operative if you're not too stand-offish, hehe.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby wraightj » Apr 29, 2009 6:41 pm

thats a good one country boy:)
wraightj

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas