Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

My back-breaking project today!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

My back-breaking project today!

Postby B_BQ » May 11, 2009 7:38 pm

After mowing the lawns, and doing a few other things in the garden, I decided to tackle this job.
My daughter had bought me quite a lot of ground covers for a very difficult part of our garden, where almost nothing will grow.
I needed to make a defining bed for some of them, and so tackled this today. This is situated on a steep hill, so footing was precarious.
I am not supposed to do this sort of stuff - but I'm a stubborn old goat and got stuck in. Big mistake. I managed to get the edging done and remove all the old grass/weeds and now need to enrich it a bit. It will have to wait for another day.
I'm afraid it's big guns in the pain medication department for me tonight. I hate taking pills, but I'm joining MareE in the bad back department, (in my case the cervical, (neck). I have a dead/numb right arm and my scapula is being prodded with a very sharp dagger! I can hardly move my hand or fingers! Not a big surprise, as it always happens when I do too much, but it seems I will never learn!!!
The picture makes it look so puny, but it was a big job. It's about 12+ feet, curved, and 3+ feet wide. There were lots of roots and large rocks.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: My back-breaking project today!

Postby Lulu » May 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Looks great, Brenda! No kidding, back breaking!

Is that a new magnolia I see?
Lulu

Postby B_BQ » May 11, 2009 10:32 pm

Just checking in before taking my sorry self off to bed. The Tylenol #3s are working!
Yes Lulu, that's a generic Magnolia I bought last year from one of the parking lot nurseries! :roll: It doesn't have a name, didn't cost a lot of money, and we loved the colour of the bloom. We certainly didn't think it would survive on that barren slope, but we have been very pleasantly surprised.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby beeman » May 13, 2009 9:16 pm

The very best thing I have found for back ache. Robaxisel or Robaxaset. I sear by it, it will relax the muscules and help prevent the spasms.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby B_BQ » May 13, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks beeman!
Normally I find a combination of 2 Advil and 2 Tylenol Extra Strength will keep me going. Unfortunately I have a lot of 'back' experience and in this instance had to resort to Tylenol #3. I'm much better now.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Trailblaze1 » May 31, 2009 9:36 am

Hope you're feeling better by now, BBQ! I cannot take those strong pain meds = sore stomach or worse, vomiting from Tylenol 3.

Robaxacet works nicely for me on a temporary basis though. But best I've found is one accupuncture treatment occasionally. I am so lucky to have an accupuncturist living next door, who has a treatment room set up in her home, for neighbours. Her usual clinic is downtown. She only charges $40 per treatment, but will also take things in trade. She's a youngish woman with few possessions, always happy to get a good meal too.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby B_BQ » May 31, 2009 6:29 pm

I have the same problems with Advil and Tylenol - duodenal ulcers, bleeding problems and upset stomach from the Advil, so I have to be very careful with medications. But sometimes it's necessary to manipulate and I've learned, with help, what I can take and for how long.

Unfortunately my back problems are not the usual aches and pains, stiff muscles, soreness, which could be helped with acupuncture, (although the scientific literature says that acupuncture can help some back soreness), or any other therapy.

I've already had two discectomies and a fusion, and need another fusion, (which I'm not going to have), and I've learned how to cope under most circumstances - occasionally though, I do too much and have to pay the price!

However, all is now back to my baseline. Fortunately I have a very stoic disposition.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas