Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

BBQ residue? retrofit idea.

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

BBQ residue? retrofit idea.

Postby Aigle » May 15, 2009 11:25 am

The Lad's Gas barbecue died late last year and I'm a tad miffed since it was his first "housewarming" gift to him 2.5 years ago. It's kind of sinister looking, black enamelled metal , rounded...with lot's of sci-fi switches that caused us to nickname it "Hearth Vadar".

Rather than recycle it (can't get the parts to repair). He's offered it to me as a planter.

I'm thinking of keeping it on the wheels and having a moveable, elevated unit. I'll re-jig it so I'll have two basins, each about 30"x24"x18"deep.

Sound stoopid? Maybe, but If I can find something humourous enough to put in it, it may be a lot of fun. I'm at a loss as to what, though.

Then again, I can tremclad the whole thing bright yellow, or china blue. But I'm thinking about keeping a spacey, high-tech feel to it.

I wish we could do Bat flowers here, they would be Star-trekky enough.
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Re: BBQ residue? retrofit idea.

Postby joan w » May 15, 2009 1:45 pm

Oh wow, my imagination runs wild with that one.

Hope you show pictures of it when it's finished. Could do something different each year.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Eeyore » May 15, 2009 11:37 pm

How about Spilanthes around the edges?

http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/p ... sPeek.html

Maybe some Juncus spiralis

http://www.bluestem.ca/juncus-spiralis.htm

or......

http://www.bluestem.ca/carex-flagellifera.htm

and some green ivy spilling over the edges.....

or possibly some blue fescue in the center for a different kind of look.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » May 16, 2009 9:28 am

It would make a very nice conversation piece! Love to see a pic when you finally decide what to do.
BTW don't forget drainage holes! :roll: :wink:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Aigle » May 16, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm mot a very "structural person". I'm more of a "give me some dirt and let me at it". This is a new experiment and "whimsical" "silly"and downright "weird" seem to work for me.

I especially like the spilanthes (yummy! giant eyeballs). The "burner side" will probably get done this year since I still have to figure out a rig to support the lid and it's getting late.

I've got some elephant ears started looking for a home and then maybe something over-the top in "cuteness". Imagine Darth Vader holding either a bouquet, or corsage on prom-night.

Okay, weird.... did I mention that I'm also thinking of rigging up some solar lights to sine through where the gas tank was? Do they come in demonic Orange? :P
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas