Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Garden overhaul!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Garden overhaul!

Postby Funkadelic123 » May 16, 2009 2:17 pm

Hello

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Chunky and I am a university student and a novice gardener. I live in Edmonton Alberta so I know I have a short growing season and I hope its not too late. I always wanted to do something with the beautiful garden plots I have (one in the front and a large one in the backyard, i will attach the pics) and after years of procrastinating (and neglect!) I have finally decided to do those plots some justice.

I would like some advice on how to get started, which flowers to grow, how many to grow, and how to get rid of those pesky weeds which have taken over my garden. I dont need anything special I just want the garden to look nice. I prefer annuals since I am experimenting and I will eventually move into perennials when I get more experience and knowledge. Or if there exists any plants that would combat the weeds for water and nutrients.

My frontyard plot is small (about 2-3 metres long and half metre wide) and faces south so it gets a lot of sunlight. There are some remnants of flowers or some other plant that my grandpa grew there years ago.

The backyard is whole different story!! Its huge (i would say 20m long and 2m wide) and is weed-ridden. Years ago my grandpa used to grow different kinds of veggies in there. Potatoes, carrots, cabbage, mint, and spinach among others. This stopped about 4 years ago. Last year i attempted to hoe out the weeds but found that the roots are quite thick and deep. The weeds obviously grew back this year albeit a little less dense in some areas. The backyard plot is at the northend of my house but still receives a lot of sunlight and the backyard slants toward the garden so it gets plenty of water.

I hope I am not asking too much but I need a lot of guidance. Thanks for the input
Attachments
Front Yard Close-up.JPG
Front Yard.JPG
I know the left tree is a mess. Its a long story and I am still upset to this day!
Funkadelic123

Re: Garden overhaul!

Postby Funkadelic123 » May 16, 2009 2:28 pm

The tallest, left most tree grows nice green leaves. The shorter one is a cherry tree. Then the dark green reference tree, which is a spruce of some sort. to the right of the reference is another cherry tree.

Thank you again for your thoughts and ideas!
Attachments
Backyard close-up.JPG
This is a close-up of the garden. The pic spans the width of the garden
Backyard right.JPG
the reference tree is jus to the right in the pic
Backyard centre.JPG
Backyard left.JPG
I tried to use the dark green tree as a reference so you can get an idea as to how big the garden is
Funkadelic123

Postby Countryboy » May 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Funkadelic123 wrote:I would like some advice on how to get started

A good question . . . and an easy one to answer. Firstly, get yrself a good Garden Fork. Then, get at that garden bed under the fence . . and thru the length of it dig out all the Dandylions and other weeds. Dig it down to fork depth. Yr accomplishing two things at one time . . . removing the weeds . . and prepping the soil for plants.

While yr doing that maybe other members will advise u on what to plant for yr area. I see no reason to 'do' annuals over perennials. Why not do both. In an area like that most experiences gardeners would.

Best of luck. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Funkadelic123 » May 16, 2009 7:13 pm

Thanks for the advice CountryBoy. But I hoed the garden out last year and found that the weed roots go quite deep and are quite thick. should i just dig them out as best i can then plant and when the weeds pop back up continually pluck them out?

I will answer the questions Venice put on mva's forum.

1.Budget- not looking to spend a lot. Looking for the most economical way to get the job done. However if I have to spend the money to do a good I job I am willing to do it. Keep in mind I am a student!

2/3. Style/colour- I dont really want a particular style or coulour just something that looks nice. For the front yard I was thinking some orange and red flowers to brighten it up. For the backyard I was thinking like a rainbow scheme with red flowers starting to the left then violets ending in the right. I hope thats not totally tasteless! I would like your ideas

4. Maintenance- I am on break now so i can spend a decent amount of time in the garden. I am going to have to anyways because of the weeds! about 30mins a day so 3-4hrs per week. I can make time for more though

I know there is a lot of opportunity to landscape in my yard but I just want to focus on the gardens this year.
Funkadelic123

Postby Countryboy » May 17, 2009 9:14 am

Funkadelic123 wrote:should i just dig them out as best i can

Countryboy wrote:Dig it down to fork depth.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby onlyonenina » May 17, 2009 1:50 pm

I am also in Edmonton..
When you are ready to plant, check out freecycle or kijiji. A lot of people are giving perennials away for either cheap prices or FREE!!
Since your on a tight budget, this would be perfect. Plus if you happen to have or know someone with a Costco card..there annuals are cheap..cheap!!

Good luck
onlyonenina

Postby Eeyore » May 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi Funkadelic, I'm an Edmonton Gardener as well. Personally I think perennials are the way to go but that's just my opinion.

The garden under the window looks like it has the remnants of a daylily or 2. Very hardy in our climate.

As CB mentioned, you'll need to turn the soil in the backyard garden so start by getting yourself a good spade and a garden fork. I would water the area well and let it sit for a couple of days. The soil is easier to work with then and it isn't mucky. Use the garden fork to loosen the soil and then start turning it with the spade. Go down at least the depth of the spade and gently start pulling up the weeds, grab them by the roots, right below the crown and tug gently. In moist soil you should be able to remove most of the roots intact. Once you've removed the weeds get some compost and peat moss and work it into the loosened soil, then you are ready to plant. :D

Under the window, loosen the soil and add some compost to it and then I would look for plants for a hot dry area. Being on the south, close to the house and under the overhang it's going to be quite dry most of the time. Do you want plants that don't block the window?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Funkadelic123 » May 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Thank you for the responses guys! I really appreciate it.

No Eeyore I dont mind if the flowers block the window.

Once the rain we had dries up in a couple days I will get cracking (or should I say back-cracking!.... wow that was cheesy :) ) on the weeds in the back.

and i will check kijiji and freecycle. thanks nina. i dont have a costco membership myself but i will ask around.

Thanks again. Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming
Funkadelic123

Postby Eeyore » May 18, 2009 12:35 am

Since height isn't an issue you could plant daylilies there. They would be the easiest because they are virtually pest free, the grass like leaves look good all the time and with the newer varieties you can have blooms over a long period of time. Some are reblooming and some are evergreen, most don't need dividing for at least 5 years. Very low maintenance!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Aigle » May 18, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi Chunky, Cheesey is good.we like cheesey!. I second, or third the daylily idea and since you don't have anything established yet, this year is the time to really turn over and amend the soil...you'll really thank yourself in the coming years when it gest harder to work around plants.

My front, is tiny, very hot and dry (heat from the street, can easily go over 40 in August) and full sun. Two really easy annuals I use to fill it are Amaranth (Love lies bleeding) and your average sunflower. There are easy to grow from seed so cheap. I've also seen people use hollyhocks for that big presence.

It also make giving directions easier "I'm the house with the sunflowers" :)
---
Give me library, or give me Death!
Aigle

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas