Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Garden overhaul!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Garden overhaul!

Postby Eeyore » May 20, 2009 11:34 am

Yes, Sunflowers and Amaranthus are good choices to get lots of bang for the buck in a new garden.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Funkadelic123 » May 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Thank you for the responses guys. I will start looking for sunflowers and amaranths.

In the mean time i have been working in the backyard and i have 2 big questions:

#1. will severed weed roots grow back? because i was digging at them and i ended up getting about 4-5inches of root and noticed it had been severed. so will the remaining
length of the weed root grow back and eventually sprout more weeds?

#2 I also want to have about a 4 metre long plot in the back for vegetables. which vegetable is suitable in this environment and has a high success rate of growing.?
Funkadelic123

Postby Eeyore » May 24, 2009 12:17 am

It depends on what the weed was. If it's quack grass, yes it will grow back but the only way to get rid of quack grass is to keep yanking it up or to paint it with round-up. It's one of those weeds that won't go away. Most perennial weeds will make a re-appearance but once you've done the major work you just need to keep on top of it to keep it under control.

We can grow a number of veggies here. Peas, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, Swiss Chard, Spinach, lettuce.... Cucumbers are tricky but can be done. Peppers are iffy too.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby neng_perea » May 24, 2009 2:44 am

Hello! I have poppies seeds that I can share,some perennial like.. Day lily, Iris, Creeping Jenny,Lamium, Goutweed let me know and I will give you some.. Okay!
neng_perea

Postby northernrose » May 26, 2009 9:00 am

Hi Chucky,
I grew up in Edmonton and have lived all over Alberta in the past 15 years or so. Many of my homes have had neglected gardens when I moved in. A good spade is your best friend. Get digging on the weeds. If they've been left to go to seed for many years, you could have a battle on your hands. As a last resort, Round Up. But it works by taking the chemical in to the root system through the leaves, so you need some green growth when it's applied.
Next, you need to get some of your trees and shrubs pruned to encourage healthy growth. See if you can find somebody who knows what they're doing though. Not pruning correctly can result in a tree more unhealthy than before.
If you're a student, you may want to put in a few, carefully selected perennials this year, and fill in the spaces with annuals. The perennials are more expensive, but they're worth it. Just try to keep some basics in mind when you're planning. Taller plants in the back of the beds, and make sure you pay attention to how big things will eventually grow.
The lily suggestion's a great one. Some perennials, such as lilies, spread over time. They're a large plant, lots of green, with big, bright flowers.
Also, the neighbourhood looks fairly mature. Any other gardeners in the area? We of the green thumbs love to talk about gardens, ours, yours, and we love to share. You might find a couple garden friends in the neighbourhood who have some perennials they could divide and share, some advice, etc. The kijiji site's a great suggestion too.
One thing about people offering plants, if they have too much of it, ask yourself (or them) if it may be something invasive.
Old wives tale: my Baba (grandma) always used to say you're not supposed to thank people who divide and give you their plants. I think it's about sharing the love.
Good luck
Have fun
northernrose

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas