Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Plant selection for small island garden

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Plant selection for small island garden

Postby Cuivinen » May 27, 2009 8:06 am

I have the interesting fortune of having several small islands, say 300 - 600 ft square on which to build a garden. I hope to grow some plants that would otherwise get eaten by the abundant wildlife in my area.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to learn which plants would thrive in the presence of birds, but not critters?

Thanks in advance,

Steven Kayser
Cuivinen

Re: Plant selection for small island garden

Postby Laura » May 27, 2009 8:13 am

Could you tell us where you are located and zone maybe ?

What kind of birds are we talking about too ....really curious now .... :wink:
Laura

Postby Cuivinen » May 27, 2009 9:24 am

Thank you for the kind response. I am in Ottawa, Ontario, and I don't know the zone for sure although 3b rings a bell. We have abundant geese as well as innumerable small marsh birds that I have yet to learn the name of as the lake is on the verge of the 1000 acre or so Corkery wetlands area.

Thanks in advance
cuivinen
Cuivinen

Postby Eeyore » May 27, 2009 9:52 am

It sounds as though you'd be looking for plants that will thrive in a wet soil but aren't invasive and won't harm the waterway then.

Ottawa is zone 5A. This document should give you some idea of what types of plants you could grow.

http://cityofstamford.org/filestorage/2 ... _Guide.pdf
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Cuivinen » May 28, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks for the article lyn. You were correct in that the bulk of the property I have to work with is exactly as intended by that article, and I will have years of fun planting as many of the species listed as I can find.

By the way, are there any swapping or exchanging sites that might offer some of the species?

The two islands I referred to initially are solid clay/grave/sand, with very little sand, and man made with nothing growing onthem except some very hardy weeds. I plan on flattening them out and adding soil on the top to grow a vegetable garden, which I didn't clearly explain in the first post. I am also looking for some vegetable recommendations that will be ok with birds but not critters.

Thanks again.

Steven
Cuivinen

Postby Eeyore » May 28, 2009 11:53 am

I'm not aware of any swapping sites but you could check the "Seed Exchange" room on this site and see what people have to offer. Try putting in your own request as well.

I garden in the city so I can't help much with the critter problem. We don't have many critters here. Just birds that clean up the berries, but we plant the berries for the birds anyway.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas