Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Rain Water Vs Foundation

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Rain Water Vs Foundation

Postby Sceptre4444 » Jun 01, 2009 7:29 pm

Hello, I am a novice gardener who is interested in creating a new garden next to my home.

However, I'm also a no fuss type of guy, so I'm interested in using rain from my roof as a source for watering my vegetable garden.

The garden I wish to create is a south exposed area that gets quite hot. Currently it hosts Juniper shrubs. The area is approxiametely 3.5' X 15'. It is surrounded on 3 sides by concrete.
North Side of bed, 15ft, bounded by house foundation
South Side of bed 15ft, bounded by concrete driveway
East Side of bed 3.5ft, bounded by concrete stairs

Although the area is not shadowed by a roof, the rain in my area, (Calgary) does not hit this area hardly at all. The area has an unblocked sun exposure as it faces south. But it get hardly any water. I have a in ground sprinkler system that waters this area.

I believe I will need to water this area a lot if I want to grow vegetables. I have a rain downspout at the West end, (sw corner of house) but it currently drains away. I was thinking about adding sections of eavestroughing to move the downspout so it drains into my proposed garden. If I did so, water would drain towards the west, but it would also rest against my house. Should I be concerned with this ?

Rather than direct the water entirely into 1 part of the garden I'd prefer to drip water from the eaves trough to all parts of the garden. Does anyone have a idea how to do this. Perhaps drilling small holes through the pipe and plugging the end so water is forced through the holes ?

thanks for any advice.
Sceptre4444

Re: Rain Water Vs Foundation

Postby Grannygardener » Jun 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Why don't you catch your water in a rain barrel.Run a hose from the rain barrel to your garden, attach a drip hose and snake that throughout your vegetable gardenThis hose can be covered with mulch to prevent rapid evaporation . Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Eeyore » Jun 02, 2009 12:16 am

I think that's about the best solution because you can control the flow of water when you want to.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Countryboy » Jun 02, 2009 8:31 am

Yr idea of dripping water from the trough makes sense in theory but maybe not in practise. I can see the falling water hitting the wall of yr house on the way down but probably never making it to the ground cleanly. Also . . in a heavy rain the water will likely fill the trough and overflow it rather than quietly drip out the bottom.

Too much water against the foundation of the house??? The only way u would know if yr weeping tiles can handle this is to try it. If u find water seeping into yr basement at the bottom of that foundation wall then u will know that there's too much water.

I like the girls suggestion. Channel the water into a rain barrel and drip it into the bed from there. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby beeman » Jun 07, 2009 4:52 pm

Grannygardener wrote:Why don't you catch your water in a rain barrel.Run a hose from the rain barrel to your garden, attach a drip hose and snake that throughout your vegetable gardenThis hose can be covered with mulch to prevent rapid evaporation . Edie

I went a step further.
I pump the water out of the barrel, for a quick watering
There are submersible pumps which you can attach a hose to, use a hand held spray gun, drop the pump into the barrel bottom. Then you can water 'all' the garden easily.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby kertesz » Jun 08, 2009 10:48 pm

kertesz

Postby beeman » Jun 09, 2009 9:09 am

kertesz wrote:This is how I do it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/phot ... =658925990

This was a bit of a waste of time, having to register on Facebook to view your comments!!! :evil:
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby kertesz » Jun 09, 2009 9:34 pm

beeman wrote:
kertesz wrote:This is how I do it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/phot ... =658925990

This was a bit of a waste of time, having to register on Facebook to view your comments!!! :evil:

Are we still in highschool? :roll: I thought this was a mature forum.

I was just trying to show the guy an idea and it did not work and that's my only way of posting pictures. Next time a positive reply will be greatly appreciated.
kertesz

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas