Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

It was because of the hat

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: It was because of the hat

Postby ebasco » Feb 07, 2010 7:11 pm

earwig wrote:I will leave her alone till I get tired of her.

She will definitely be a great addition to my garden so don't ever get tired of her lol...And just in case you will, I already have a special place for her and already have plans this early on ha...ha...ha...she will be watching the pigeons that keep picking on my grapes....
ebasco

Postby Trailblaze1 » Feb 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Sqweeee! I am so delighted to finally get the story of your intriguing and attractive avatar. I liked her the minute I saw her, and figured: 'this 'earwig' is one creative gal, somebody I'd love to meet.

I have a similar story with a "Woodman" I made out of old log bits the year we moved in here. But I won't take away your thunder. Poor Woody stood for 12 years, and then fell over, ants had got him; then a bear finished him off. I kind of missed him, standing at the end of our driveway holding a sign saying "Woodman". One day a carful of cottagers went by and I heard the children scream: "The Woodman -YAY!"

I'm sure my Woodman would have liked to meet your lady, hehe.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby earwig » Feb 07, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks Laura, Lyn, Mare, and Brenda. Some people love her, some find her tacky, but since I am the one that sees her daily, I will leave her alone till I get tired of her.

MareE wrote:You have a designated shed for your piles?
welllllll, sort of as I seem to collect sheds too. I have 3 plus I have room for things under my deck and mini home as well.

If you ever need copper wire or pipes, a piece of plywood, or a 2 by 4, planks, rebar, chickenwire, assorted pots, plastic, twine etc, etc ; feel free to visit, I am sure I could find what you need.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby B_BQ » Feb 07, 2010 9:43 am

Love the story, love the finished 'product'.
Always felt your garden was unique, and 'Dolly', (of bosom fame), is perfectly unique too!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby MareE » Feb 07, 2010 7:52 am

And all because of a hat! LAFF She's a bodice-tightened knock-out, Betty! You're greener than I am recycling/re-using piles of "might be of use someday"—you actually use your precious collectibles for creative, functioning garden art. You have a designated shed for your piles? ;o}

Loved your picture story. Wondered about the lady with the bright scarf in your avatar but didn't click she was same one along a garden path for Soup, but in last season's outfit.
earwig wrote:I left her face blank. I may make a face someday for her, if I keep her.

If you put a name to the face, would that make her more keepable? Y'know, like Dolly your garden helper. LOL

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Eeyore » Feb 06, 2010 1:44 pm

I love her and think she's one of the most unique garden sculptures I've ever seen. You have a great imagination Betty.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Laura » Feb 06, 2010 12:16 pm

She is a beauty and she has such a wonderful fashion sense.Thanks for sharing her story.
Laura

It was because of the hat

Postby earwig » Feb 06, 2010 11:47 am

(Photos below long explanation - click to enlarge)

A garden group I belong to decided last March that we should make some hypertufa containers to help past the time till we could get our hands into the soil.

There was a small amount of mixture left when we finished so rather than throw out; I quickly formed some around a flower pot.

The next week, when I unwrapped the plastic and removed the pot, great merriment broke forth as the container did not look like any other. In fact, it was suggested it looked more like a hat, so I modeled it.

Now I had happened to see on another forum, a Mother Earth garden art so an idea took shape in my head – compounded by the not so light pot I had on my head at the time.

So I checked my piles of “might be of use someday” and brought forth chicken wire, little pieces of heavy mesh fencing material, old rusted wire mesh that had covered an old fan but which I used as a soil shifter, an large whisk (3 feet long) that was being thrown out at a kitchen I use to work in, pantyhose, nylon knee highs, and a two foot long clay tube that I used as a pedestal one year.

This was all put together to approximately resemble a very short person. Filled with soil – planted, and the hat placed on top. Luckily there was a hole in the hat which allowed me to keep a small glass jar on top of the head under the hat for bouquets.

When filling the chest area, I got a little carried away and the cut mesh would not meet together when done. I found some garden string to keep “everything” tucked in.

Not wanting to plant the arms as I felt would dry out to quickly; I draped burlap over her as a shawl. Filled gloves for hands with a tiny trowel in one, a watering can in the other. Cut off my old rubber boots so she could have some slippers. I used Thyme on her chest, variegated sedum as her skirt, and ivy for hair.

I left her face blank. I may make a face someday for her, if I keep her.

I only started taking pictures as I realized that just maybe I could make it work. Today, I took pictures of the hat which started it all, and you can see why not suitable as a container.

lad.jpg
lady1.jpg
lady2.jpg
lady3.jpg
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas