Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

My raised bed (1 of 3)

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

My raised bed (1 of 3)

Postby Lulu » Apr 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Got the first raised bed finished, and am pretty happy with it. Decided the other two needed to be smaller, that is, 3 patio stones long, giving me a 4' x 6' instead of 4' x 8'.

Wow,,sure took a lot of soil and manure to fill this one. Will have to wait till the city starts selling the composted soil, @ $20. a tonne, and hopefully find a sale on the manure, to fill the other two.

Some of the patio stones are grubby, as they've been piled for 7 years, and my outside water is not on yet. Will power wash them, and, either paint them or put that plastic lattice on them, as I have a full 4 x 8 sheet, and a 2 x 8 sheet that I've also been hanging on to for a long time.
If I would have had to buy the stones, I would have preferred the reddish ones, but,,at least I finally found a use for these ones.
Attachments
MVC-012S.JPG
Lulu

Re: My raised bed (1 of 3)

Postby Venice » Apr 28, 2010 1:28 pm

You could stain them. I think it would be better then painting. No chipping, just fading. And it would look more natural. I nice deep reddish wine would look lovely with the green foliage, or the lattice covered in sweetpeas. ahahha

What are you planting in here?????

Ven
Venice

Postby B_BQ » Apr 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Lulu:
I see you got the same hardware as I used for my raised planters! (Lee Valley).

When we did ours, 4 years ago, we piled a lot of stuff in the bottom first, rocks, leaves, lots of cardboard, (we'd just moved), and other bits and pieces. I don't think anything grows which needs that much root room! :wink:

I also lined the sides with landscape cloth before putting in the soil, so that the soil wouldn't leech out.

I have two, and used 20" x 20" slabs.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Venice » Apr 28, 2010 2:19 pm

I've got to show these to hubby. I have just the right place for them, and way to get new patio stones and use my old ones for this ahhahha.

Ven
Venice

Postby earwig » Apr 28, 2010 5:43 pm

I like that idea. They do look great, both yours Lulu, and Brenda's. They would talke a lot of filling though. But once done, just a top up each year.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Lulu » Jul 30, 2010 11:12 am

Ok, here's an update on my raised beds. They performed very well, for their intended purpose, that is, to give me more growing space, to hide my messy/utility areas and to keep me off my knees! Also allowed me to monitor my baby brugs a little closer.
Attachments
Raised beds from gazebo.JPG
There are two sheds, a greenhouse, a riding lawnmower, a tiller, and three potting areas, none of which can be seen while sitting in the gazebo.
Raised Beds as screen.jpg
Raised Beds July 2010.JPG
Same as first view in April 2010.
Lulu

Postby Eeyore » Jul 30, 2010 12:39 pm

Very nice raised beds!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas