Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Border Renovation

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Border Renovation

Postby ViridianFields » May 06, 2010 12:20 am

Alright, pictures!

Lets call this the planning stage. Note the plastic edging around the border (me and my cousin put it in a number of years ago when Gramma lived here) and my planned brickwork. There are a few perennials in there though, amongst the various grasses. This and the couple pictures following were taken on the 12th of April, the day I started this reno.
026.JPG

This is the NOID Delphinium hybrid that's probably been there for 6 years... looks pretty dead at this point. But I assure you they are perfectly hardy here.
051.JPG

Saponaria officinalis, or Common Soapwort, also looking pretty dead. I'm sure this plant is a spreading sub-shrub in some climates, but the winters pretty much kill it back to the roots here. It still spreads but isn't overly aggressive (plus I have a thing for white flowers with which to offset colors that are occasionally garish, like the 'Enchantment' Asiatic Lily).
052.JPG

Now the more interesting stuff, a partially finished product (which has since changed somewhat, these pictures were taken 3 days ago). The bricks have been sunk to slightly below surface level to make for ease of mowing and to keep the turf grasses out. I will still have to edge occasionally but it will be easy, I just need to pull the bricks out and cut along a straight line.
095.JPG

A close-up of some of the finished part of the border. In this picture you can see in better detail the brickwork, and a number of plants just starting (they've all been clearly labeled since so I know where everything is and what's what). There's Strawberry Rhubarb, Common Soapwort, Columbine, Mediterranean Soapwort, Chives, Garlic, Daylilies, Creeping Charlie (yes I cultivate it!), Echinacea, and Lilies. Much of which can't be seen in the picture (yet).
102.JPG

The Delphinium putting on some awesome growth (see, told you they were hardy here).
108.JPG

And that's it for pics, unless you all want to see pics of some of the seedlings I'll be setting out. :D
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Postby Smitty » May 06, 2010 12:57 am

ViridianFields wrote:Hmm, if you really want him I can pot him for you...

I was just razzing you......oh wait...what color is it?? 8) we could tradesies...I have a tickled pink that needs some splitting.

your garden reno is coming nicely....with list of plants there it's gonna look beautiful soon.

Smitty wishing it would stop raining and warm up some so she could garden too!!!
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby ViridianFields » May 06, 2010 11:17 am

Well, the Delphinium seedling is likely some shade of blue... but it is a seedling so could realistically be any color. Won't know 'till it blooms. I guarantee it's hardiness :lol: I did see that the south has been getting rain... it's so dry here, we have yet to get any real precipitation since the snow melted.

Heading out to rip up some more grass... (groan).
Calvin

ViridianFields

Postby ViridianFields » May 06, 2010 4:42 pm

This afternoon I've decided to start hardening off some of my seedlings. The 'Gallery White' and 'Gallery Yellow' Lupinus polyphyllus seedlings are now sitting in a partially shaded spot, well watered. It's 15C out right now, I want to get them used to temperature changes since they are quickly outgrowing their 1.5" plugs and would like to get them planted out as soon as possible... a little cold weather shouldn't hurt them once they're hardened, I should be able to plant them out in 2 weeks or so.

These Lupins are supposed to be shorter than usual for Lupins (14 - 18 inches) and I mixed a packet of each color and planted 2 seeds per plug. Interestingly, many plugs only had a single seed come up and I clipped the first to appear in those that had 2, so I wonder which color will dominate in this batch?

I'm also planting my Stargazer Lily bulbs today, and a few more dwarf Daylilies. Waiting patiently for my order from Vesey's, since I received a catalog from them today so I'm hoping that the box that was shipped on the 26 of last month should be here. I NEED my order, part of what I have planned for the yard is counting on it.
Calvin

ViridianFields

Postby ViridianFields » May 11, 2010 2:20 am

I never did get the Stargazers planted, but today I received both my Vesey's order and my Botanus order. Today I planted Daylilies ('Stella d'Oro','Grape Magic', and 'Ageless Beauty'), 'Muscadet' and 'Marco Polo' Oriental Lilies, and Yucca glauca.

It's supposed to get pretty cool tonight but I wanted to leave the strawberry, parsley, and Lupin seedlings outside, so I covered them with a fluffy sheet which should protect them from a light frost. Really, they're hardy plants so I'm not terribly worried if they get chilled... hoping I can plant them out soon but just realized that parsley doesn't like full sun so I'll have to hurry up with the digging. Another few days and I should have a spot prepared for them. And the Stargazers. Etc etc. :mrgreen:

The garlic I planted a couple weeks ago is coming up, the 'Fire and Fog' Daylily is starting to expand and show some growth. I sort of worried about the color combinations I'm going to end up with... hopefully I've planted enough white flowers to offset the bright ones. I may have to do a move of a few perennials, but I'll wait until next spring. I should give things a chance to grow in and decide if I like the way things look first (and confirm that things were labeled properly). Some of these plants are in their absolutely permanent positions, but most could be moved (divided) in the future without too much trouble. The 'Enchantment' clump needs to be split up, it looks like the bulb is going to produce 5 mature stems this year (it had 3 last year).

I'm already starting to think about fall planted bulbs and I still have one more order to put in for summer flowering (which I will do this week). I want to try an interesting little bulb called Rhodohypoxis and have just found a place that sells them in Canada. Incidentally the place sells Shizostylis also, which is another of the interesting bulbs I want to try.
Calvin

ViridianFields

Postby Smitty » May 11, 2010 9:58 am

how'd your orientals do over winter Calvin??? I see none of mine yet!
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2010 11:28 am

It's looking good Calvin! The delps look good, heat from the foundation likely moderates the area they are in but it's awesome that you can grow them in such a cold climate.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby ViridianFields » May 13, 2010 10:57 am

Smitty, I haven't personally seen a shoot from any of the orientals at the cabin... actually, I doubt they've broken the soil out there. I do know that at least a few of the bulbs survived the winter, so I have hope.

Eeyore, I'm beginning to think that they only rate us as zone 1b because of the windchill factor (which generally pushes the winter temperatures down between 3 and 10 C). The winter temperatures here rarely drop below -40C without the windchill. Also, my aunt a half hour south (still in 1b) has mass quantities of Delphs in her flower border and they aren't against the house there (actually, there they are next to an open field). I'm a little jaded about zone ratings right now, so rather than saying Delphs are hardy to zone 3 I prefer to say they are hardy to an 'absolute minimum' temperature of -40C. Also, when the ground freezes here it's solid and doesn't begin to thaw until spring (no freeze / thaw cycle here), at which time it thaws quickly and completely without refreezing, so it's likely that has something to do with our successes.

Oh, and the 3 or so feet of snow that settles in the hollows probably helps too :lol:
Calvin

ViridianFields

Postby Northpine » May 13, 2010 2:33 pm

I agree, I think the delphiniums are very hardy. They seem to grow without any special care in gardens all around the town. I think it's a case of the wrong info being given on the tags. As you've mentioned sometimes even wildflowers that occur naturally in our area are given zone ratings above our zone. So you have to know the information is suspect.

But the problem is, a person can waste a lot of money trying out plants that really won't be hardy for us. I'd like the plant tags to be somewhat accurate. Or else why bother to have zones in the first place. If it's windchill that would be the determining factor, that wouldn't matter to herbaceous perennials which are below ground during the winter and not affected. But like I mentioned in another post, trees are a different matter.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby ViridianFields » May 14, 2010 11:25 am

Interestingly, I just discovered that Canadian plant hardiness zones aren't meant for perennials. It was developed as a way to tell how hardy trees and shrubs are to an area, so that explains the discrepancy between zone ratings and actual plant hardiness in Canada. That's why I've started looking for 'low temperature' ratings, or the lowest survivable temperature for a given plant.

I wish I had known this a while ago. http://www.planthardiness.gc.ca/

Zone 3 is supposed to have a minimum temperature of -40C, so that's why perennials hardy to zone 3 grow here (our observed record low is around -41C).
Calvin

ViridianFields

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas