Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Border Renovation

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Border Renovation

Postby ViridianFields » May 14, 2010 12:10 pm

Oh yeah. I should note that I've planted some more stuff in the border. I also mulched so now it looks like a real border, finally... albeit only 1/2 done. I'm finished up to the edge of the house, but I still have all the Stargazers to plant yet, they need to get in the ground soon. I work a split today, hopefully it doesn't rain all day and I can prepare a space for them. I can always move them later. Also planted out some of the seedlings (yay!) and repotted the tomatoes (waaay too late, but they'll recover).

I've been thinking about spring flowering bulbs. As we have been discussing, our hardiness for things in the ground is around zone 3 - 4. Lilies, daylilies, tulips, etc., all survive the winter. So, on that note, I'm trying a few different bulbs this year. For really early blooming (I'm thinking late April for us up here), I want something colorful blooming... I've seen Puschkinia here which fits with the zone 3 thing, so since most Crocus are hardy to zone 4 (and I love them), I've found Bulbocodium vernum which is apparently hardy to zone 2 (not surprising considering it comes from the Caucasus mountains). It will be planted with Chionodoxa 'Violet Beauty' (zone 3) and Scilla mischtschenkoana (zone 3). I'll be planting 'Thalia' Daffodils which will be blooming around the same time, but I plan to scatter the smaller bulbs through the border and plant the Daffs by themselves in a clump. That way I can protect the Daffs with a pile of mulch, since they are hardy to zone 4. Also planting Camassia leichtlinii caerulea (zone 3), Tulipa batalinii 'Apricot Jewel' (zone 3 and actually an interspecific hybrid), and Leucojum aestivum 'Gravetye Giant' (zone 3), which should all bloom in mid May.

Comprehensive plant listing (plants already in ground):

Garlic (softneck white)
Chives
Rhubarb
Saponaria officinalis (tentative ID, from Wanless), S. ocymoides
Lilies; Enchantment (tentative ID), Courier, Marco Polo, Lollypop, Muscadet, Royal Trinity
Columbine (local seed, large flowered hybrids in pastel colors)
Creeping Charlie
Daylilies; Stella d'Oro, Fire and Fog, Happy Returns, Ageless Beauty, Grape Magic, NOID
Delphinium (original stock came from Wanless)
Liatris spicata (mixed purple and white)
Lupinus polyphyllus 'Gallery' (mixed white and yellow)
Calvin

Creighton, SK - Zone 1b, but don't tell the Delphiniums. Zone 4 for them. :lol:
ViridianFields

Postby ViridianFields » May 15, 2010 12:24 am

Hmm, never planted the rest of the Lilies (or Peonies, or Gladiolus, etc...) BUT... I did plant some rehydrated Ranunculus (unnamed dark purple) and Anemone coronaria ('Mr. Fokker' and 'The Bride' mixed) tubers today! Filled some spots that would have otherwise been a little empty (and somewhere I wanted a different shot of color). I had a number of leftovers so I planted them in one of the large planters I bought for the deck. I also planted some Zephyranthes grandiflora bulbs to see how they do in the ground (lifted like Glads, Anemones, Ranunculus, etc.), and planted 8 in a 10" pot for my personal collection. I still have a few bulbs left (gotta quit buying things in mass quantity) so I'll have to tuck them into one of the large planters (when I get around to planting the rest of them).
Calvin

ViridianFields

Postby ViridianFields » May 16, 2010 8:45 pm

So, here I am in Saskatoon (have I mentioned I love this city?). Today I purchased a few perennials and a few 'potted perennials'. To add to my garden (when I get home), I bought Veronica spicata 'Royal Candles', Armeria maritima 'Dusseldorf Pink', and Clematis viticella 'Polish Spirit'. These should all be hardy to around zone 3, and so should survive our low temperature of -40C (maybe with some mulching this fall, just in case). Here's hoping... the Armeria is in bloom at the moment, and both the Clematis and Veronica are just starting to show buds, so I should get some flowers from all of them through the summer if they don't survive the winter.

Isn't pushing hardiness zones fun? :D Also purchased Callibrachoa ('Callie' purple) and a Hibiscus ('Strawberry Sunset') for the deck planters, which will likely come inside for the winter (since they are tender perennials). Really impressed with the quality of Home Depot's plants (though they were selling Boxwood in Saskatoon :shock: ), would recommend the perennials to anyone.
Calvin

ViridianFields

Postby ViridianFields » May 18, 2010 2:05 am

Well, back from my trip. It's amazing what 3 days of hot weather can do to a garden... I get home, and the garlic is 3" tall, the Rhubarb has seemingly doubled in size, the clump of orange Asiatic lilies is gaining speed, the Liatris I planted last week is starting to break the soil (now I'm not sure if I planted them deep enough, will investigate in the morning). Lupin seedlings are looking rather sad, but should recover (gave them a good deep drink) and they are probably going through some transplant shock at the moment which could explain their sad appearance.

I will get some photos tomorrow morning, but here's a comprehensive list of what I came home with...

Perennials:
Pink Dwarf Russian Almond (Prunus tenella)
Pink Sea Thrift (Armeria maritima 'Dusseldorf Pride')
Yellow Tall Bearded Iris (Iris germanica 'Harvest of Memories')
Blue Speedwell (Veronica spicata 'Royal Candles')
Purple Clematis (Clematis viticella 'Polish Spirit')

Tropical Perennials:
Purple Callibrachoa ('Callie Purple')
Golden Alamanda (likely cathartica)
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Strawberry Sunset'
Mandevilla (not sure beyond that... EDIT: probably x amoena 'Alice du Pont')
Night blooming Jessamine (Cestrum nocturnum)

Lots of planting to do! Looks like the big pots will be filled with tropical shrubs and bulbs. Anyone have any experience with Mandevilla?
Calvin

ViridianFields

Postby Eeyore » May 18, 2010 10:13 am

ViridianFields wrote:I wish I had known this a while ago. http://www.planthardiness.gc.ca/

Zone 3 is supposed to have a minimum temperature of -40C, so that's why perennials hardy to zone 3 grow here (our observed record low is around -41C).

This makes sense. It's what I usually use to judge hardiness.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby ViridianFields » May 18, 2010 11:36 am

Yup, pretty safe planting zone 3 stuff (I'm definitely pushing it with some of these plants though). The good snow cover and lack of freeze / thaw helps also. I'm actually quite lucky.

Forgot something on the perennials list above... Anemone tomentosa 'Robustissima', a pink late summer blooming anemone. My research tells me this plant should be hardy here but has a spreading habit (typical for Anemones, I guess). So, not quite sure whether I want to plant it right in the border or give it a partly shaded corner by itself... Anyone have any experience with this plant? Would you consider it 'spreading', or is it more 'invasive'?
Calvin

ViridianFields

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 18, 2010 10:50 pm

I'm not sure if I have that specific variety since it was here when I bought the place. I consider it to be aggressive, but not really invasive...and I like a tidy garden. If left unchecked I imagine it could easily take over an area...kind of depends on what type of look you're after. Hope that helps.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby ViridianFields » May 19, 2010 3:40 am

Definitely helps! I suspect that if yours blooms late summer (or early fall) and isn't over 3' tall, it's the same as mine. The fall blooming Japanese Anemones generally start around 3' and aren't overly hardy in zone 3 (that I know of). I'll give it some room, thanks for the help! I doubt it would be strong enough to be invasive on the edge of it's hardiness zone anyhow... I'll just give it some space (and surround it with durable perennials like Peonies... I'd like to see an Anemone encroach on a healthy established Peony with any success, and I have at least 2 to plant yet!).
Calvin

ViridianFields

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 19, 2010 1:17 pm

I forgot to mention that our Home Depot has some really nice plants this year too. Literally a couple hundred clematis in stock and lots of veggies.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby ViridianFields » May 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Actually, that's where a few of the plants that came home from Saskatoon are from. The Clematis, the Veronica (which I now know is actually Veronica 'Glory', the non-trademarked name and an interspecific hybrid), the Armeria, Callibrachoas, and Hibiscus are all from HD. Their selection is really good (and specific to zone 3, a nice change from a few years ago), and the quality of their plants is surprisingly high. They can't be accused of false advertising, that's for sure.

I've made a trip to WMart in town here and came home with a few more plants (I know, I really gotta stop doing that :mrgreen: ):

Dianthus gratianopolitanus 'Feuerhexe' (= Dianthus 'Firewitch')
Thymus vulgaris (Common Thyme)
Variegated Sage
Portulaca 'Tequila Pink' and 'Tequila Yellow'
Some extremely colorful variegated Pelargoniums
'Mucho Nacho' Jalapeno Pepper

Now, I'm sort of iffy on the hardiness of the Thyme, since it's a Mediterranean native. I've seen it listed as hardy starting in zone 3, 4, 5, and 6... so I thought I should try it. I'll just have to mulch extra heavy once the ground freezes, that's all... :?
Calvin

ViridianFields

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas