Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

How to seed or sod sloping path?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

How to seed or sod sloping path?

Postby janethall1 » May 06, 2010 3:55 pm

We have a wide sloping path that is presently sand and need to do something to stop it being washed out every heavy rainfall.
janethall1

Re: How to seed or sod sloping path?

Postby B_BQ » May 06, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi janethall1:

You'd do better to post this request in another 'room'; probably 'Garden Projects and Ideas'. More people visit there. :)

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby B_BQ » May 07, 2010 12:59 pm

I was hoping you'd get at least a couple of replies to this question!

You don't say how steep the slope is, but if it's not very steep then probably all you will need to do would be to remove the sand, put down some soil, and either use sod or grass seed. Unfortunately, if you get much rain after you've put the seed down it would probably wash away! :cry:

What about paving/patio slabs? You could put them directly into the existing sand, leave a small gap between some of them, put in some soil and plant things like creeping thyme, or one of the other ground covers which will take a bit of foot traffic?

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Countryboy » May 07, 2010 4:04 pm

I caught this yesterday 'coz I work from 'Active Topics' . . . not thru the different boards. :) But I was hoping that someone else would have a sure-fire method. Not so far I guess.

So! . . . I gotta go with BBQ and the patio stones . . 'cept almost anything will work in lieu of patio stones . . bricks, flat rocks . . even slabs of wood will last for a while in the ground.

What u want to do really is to let the grass or ground cover hold the soil in place so it won't get washed out by the rain. Footsteps creating a path over the grass will kill it. So either eliminate the footsteps completely or minimize their impact on the grass.

A solid sidewalk . . or patio stones set edge to edge would totally eliminate the impact. But it's surprising how much of a gap u can leave between pavers. The grass growing there will take some foot traffic as long as the stones/pavers are taking the bulk of it.

Beat of luck. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas