Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

My garden project

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

My garden project

Postby mike in Ottawa » Jul 21, 2010 5:39 pm

http://picasaweb.google.com/117914880765622868984/Attachments_07_20_2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCOK6k8Wrq8qH1AE#slideshow/5496074169848303618
After we had our pool installed last year, i had a pile of landscaping to do around the pool, most of it was levelling the soil and planting grass seed around1/2 of the pool that was the easy part, the rest takes alot more work., First the 4 large boulders were moved and then we had the interlock installed. The right side of the deck is a David Austin Rose garden, containing a dozen different roses, with small patio roses around the edge.
The rest of the area beside the patio was levelled all by hand and took about a week to finish, grass seed was planted a few days ago and hopefully by this weekend the first leaves will appear. Now working on the slope at the bottom of the garden. On the right hand side of garden at bottom is my vegetable patch, also new this year, we have corn, tomatoes, peppers and onions, also about 150 gladiolis hopefully they will be in bloom for when we have my mother in laws 80th birthday party near end of august.
I also have about 100 potsof various plants that still have to be planted but that wont happen till i finish the landscaping.

Thank goodness that we have the pool as i can just jump in when i get over heated withis work, of course if we did'nt have the pool i would'nt have all this work to do.
Last edited by mike in Ottawa on Jul 21, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mike in Ottawa

Re: My garden project

Postby kelly_m » Jul 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Mike, sounds wonderful but I'm getting a not found message to your link.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby mike in Ottawa » Jul 21, 2010 5:51 pm

OK think i have fixed it.
mike in Ottawa

Postby kelly_m » Jul 21, 2010 6:46 pm

[color=#408000]Looks like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place with that pool!!LOL

It looks fabulous!!! Great job....I personally like the idea of the Austin Garden!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby B_BQ » Jul 21, 2010 7:36 pm

I agree - it looks fabulous!
Could really make good use of a pool this summer!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Trailblaze1 » Jul 21, 2010 7:42 pm

ImageNow that is a smart way to work: pool first, landscaping and deck afterwards. Looks wonderful. Where abouts in Ottawa are you, Mike? I'm only 75 mins away. <wink>
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby mike in Ottawa » Jul 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks for your comments.
Trailblaze i'm out in Greely, we actually live beside a 40 acre lake (an old quarry), but when the community decided to use chemicals to kill the weeds in the lake and we ended up with blue-green algae and toxins so high the city brought in a health advisory, which basically closed the lakes for nearly 2 years, and then the community decided they were still going to use chemicals, because a lake that looks nice is far better than a lake that is safe. The chemicals were put in a month ago so we are execting another green algae bloom in the next few weeks, we have already seen 2 dead fish in the last couple of days, so i expect the oxygen levels in the lakes are dropping because of the lack of plants in the lake.
We decided to put in the pool, i work from home and my wife is retired so it is very convenient, i have been in swimming more times this year than i have in the last 7 years we have lived here.
mike in Ottawa

Postby bradinottawa » Jul 25, 2010 2:52 pm

Mike - is that Trafalgar interlock? I'm a fan, for sure, of that stone! Very nice job, way to go! I work for a landscape co. out of Greely - what old quarry is it you're talking about, I hadn't heard of that?
bradinottawa

Postby mike in Ottawa » Jul 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Brad good spot, yes that's Trafalgar pavers. Lakeland Estates off Stagecoach is situated on 2 old quarries
mike in Ottawa

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jul 30, 2010 2:58 am

That is quite the project! Looks terrific. Thanks for sharing.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas