Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Ideas for a patio greenhouse

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Ideas for a patio greenhouse

Postby Maico » Aug 02, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi!

I'm hoping someone could lead me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for in a greenhouse.

When we bought our house last year, the previous owners had already laid a large poured concrete patio in the backyard, taking up half of the space. We managed to clear out an area that previously had some bushes we were allergic too and put in a small garden (10x10). the rest of the space is still shrubbery.

My girlfriend became overly excited in the winter and our kitchen area transformed into a large greenhouse. During March/April/May - we had no kitchen table and all surfaces were filled with pots and seedlings.

I'd like to move this production outside next year, but I'm not sure if the weather in my area (Toronto) would permit me to grow seedlings outside in a greenhouse that early. We'd need something that can be removed once everything has been transplanted. Does anyone have any ideas?

We're currently growing romano peppers, tomatoes, beans (pole), sunflowers and others, but those are the largest of the lot from seeds. She also starts most if not all our flowers (annuals) inside as well.

Thanks for any advice!

Maico
Maico

Re: Ideas for a patio greenhouse

Postby Eeyore » Aug 02, 2010 5:15 pm

How early you can start depends on how much heat you have. IF it's unheated you will need to wait until the daytime temperatures heat the structure enough to sustain reasonable heat over night.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Ideas for a patio greenhouse

Postby Maico » Aug 05, 2010 12:19 pm

I've seen the small greenhouses as most stores, where the outside is made up of a clear plastic and is 3 tiers. Would an exterior of that type be sufficient, or should I be looking for something more ridgid? I've also seen them on greenhouses that look like they could double for a carport :)

Thanks for your help!
Maico

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas