Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Where do i start ?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Where do i start ?

Postby Bearcat » Aug 02, 2010 11:12 pm

I have an opportunity to start a vegetable garden completely from scratch. Right now the selected site is covered in tall grass, is roughly pie-slice shaped, and is perhaps 22m from point to base and 14 m across at the base (hope that paints you a picture). The site also runs along a creek which is overgrown with tall trees.

My goal is to be gardening next year so my question is how do i proceed now ? Obviously cutting away the long grass is the first step but then what ? Should I do it this fall or wait till spring ? Do I do anything with the soil in the fall ? What late summer / fall plans should I be making ?

Looking for guidance,
Murray
Bearcat

Re: Where do i start ?

Postby Eeyore » Aug 02, 2010 11:25 pm

I would cut the grass now and then till. Control the weeds as best you can and then till again befor planting in the spring. If necessary add some compost and any other required amendmentsand till that in as well. You will probably want to get a soil test done to determine how good your soil is and what needs to be added to it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas