Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Crazy idea... need some opinions

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Crazy idea... need some opinions

Postby indep » Aug 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Hello all,
This is my first post and I wanted some opinions from you guys... I want to install a pre-made greenhouse but I am not sure what types of heating to use for the winter since I live in Ontario and it gets pretty cold... so today I just thought of running a line from the exhaust of the furnace to the greenhouse... Obviously a fan inside the greenhouse will make sure that the air circulates, but the furnace exhaust will help heat it
.... what do you guys think?? would it work?
indep

Re: Crazy idea... need some opinions

Postby Laura » Aug 09, 2010 7:51 am

Please DO NOT try this ... exaust from whatever source is very dangerous.
Laura

Postby indep » Aug 12, 2010 2:30 pm

Oh I know it's dangerous... it has CO, CO2 and probably traces fo nitrous oxide, but as long as there's a fan in the greenhouse and the air circulates, that would clear up. The only thing we'd have to watch for is to make sure it's well ventilated before we go inside
indep

Postby Laura » Aug 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Well ... as long as you are aware you should NOT be doing this ... who am I to try to talk you out of it ... :|
Laura

Postby beverleyc » Aug 18, 2010 1:11 pm

That is a really bad idea, disaster waiting to happen. If you have a fan all it is doing is blowing around 'bad' air. If you vent it before you go in, where is the saving? All that fresh air needs to be heated.

For the benefit of you and your family's health think of a different wat to reduce fuel costs.
beverleyc

Postby beverleyc » Aug 18, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi again,
I should add that I know they use CO2 in commercial greenhouses to enhance certain crop productions but the system they use is quite extensive.
beverleyc

Postby energyadvisor » Sep 07, 2010 2:18 pm

I recently visited a site where they present a heating and ventilation solution that takes it energy from the sun. It's called SolarVenti. It's mostly used for vacation homes but the greenhouse people say it works for them too. Look it up if you like. www.solarventi.com
"The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses." landscaping ideas
energyadvisor

Postby Countryboy » Sep 08, 2010 8:45 am

It all depends on the type of furnace u have. A high-efficiency gas furnace has very little by-products or left-overs or any other hyphenated words in the exhaust. Anything else will be bad, not only for u, but for the plants.

CO2 is used in growing operations. From a bottle of pure gas, and carefully regulated.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Lulu » Sep 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Definitely not an expert here, but, just had the gas installer here to install a gas clothes dryer, and possibly a gas water heater.

What I understood from the gas fitter was that he would not be able to install a gas water heater here, because the only place it could be installed/vented, does not meet code, as there was not enough clearance, between the outside deck and where it would have to be vented. Any other possible locations had similar venting issues or were just too cost prohibitive, to relocate the tank to the opposite side of the basement.

So, if they are that strict about venting to the outside, one would assume it's unlikely it would be ok to vent into a greenhouse. Just my .02c.
Lulu

Postby green thumb guy » Sep 09, 2010 11:57 am

This is not a good idea at all.

First, the furnace produces carbon monoxide not dioxide. The plants will not use this and the quantity produced by the furnace would certainly kill your plants.

I have a greenhouse that I built in my yard. I do not run it in the winter for as few reasons. First, the cost to heat it electrically will be extremely high. Secondly, there are times that it is very difficult to get out to the greenhouse and the ground heaves, preventing me from opening it. It is a crap shoot.

You will not find any licensed HVAC guy who will do this for you.

Another thing to remember is that the exhaust cools with the distance of the run.

A greenhouse gives you an early start in the season and an extension at the end of the season.

I recall hearing about people who died in a greenhouse due to CO2 poisoning and CO poisoning .

Can I be in your will?

:?:
green thumb guy

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas