Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

construction site reclamation

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

construction site reclamation

Postby larae » Aug 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Wish to reclaim natural ground cover growth on a construction altered site (as quickly as possible).This is a island where areas of ground has been covered with sand after cottage was built. Shady (under tree canopy), acidic,zone 3a and a bit of work to get materials to the site.Add to sand,try to remove it , try to till it in? Any suggestions?
larae

Re: construction site reclamation

Postby Eeyore » Aug 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Find out what grows naturally in that area and plant the area with that. It's the best bet to get something that will take and that will survive.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby larae » Aug 16, 2010 6:12 pm

I am struggling with the treatment of the sand covered natural ground also.Some areas are quite deeply covered.
larae

Postby Eeyore » Aug 16, 2010 11:13 pm

How deeply? Can you spread it out?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Tony O » Aug 17, 2010 10:38 am

You can always plant low growing cactus. :lol: Add a lot of compost or peat to the sand and many things will grow there.
Tony O

Postby Eeyore » Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

I agree with Tony. Spead the sand out and add some compost to it and then plant some things that will tolerate those conditions. There are some grasses that will likely work. Also, many of what we call wild flowers will grow in poor conditions. Or you could xeriscape.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Countryboy » Aug 17, 2010 4:51 pm

It would be good to know the type of sand. Some sands are as fertile as garden soil.

In the absence of a pic, I'm gonna guess that yr dealing with 'blow sand' *old dunes or lake bottom' and should be able to throw grass seed on it just as if it was topsoil.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby larae » Aug 19, 2010 4:05 pm

sand was barged to island , have no idea what type of sand it would be ,but like the idea that it can be as fertile as garden soil, will investigate that. Spreading maybe an option at edges, some areas are too deep so I am guessing adding soil (barged in), tilled into top 8" ? and hopefully local soil to encourage naturally existing plants to take over.Compost if I can get a large amount.
larae

Postby Countryboy » Aug 20, 2010 9:30 am

Knowing the reason that the sand was barged in may help u identify the type of sand it is.

If is was brought in to mix with Portland cement for brick or block mortar it will be 'washed sand'. All the 'fines' have been washed out of it. This sand would be great for drainage but would need organics mixed in with it for nutrients.

If is was mixed with Portland to make concrete it may be slightly better as a base for garden soil 'coz there will be more fine particles in it. Therefore more nutrients.

The best scenario, althought the least likely, is that it was brought in just for 'fill'. For that they would usually take whatever is most available and that's generally 'blow sand'.

My project here excavated lots of it, spread it out on the yard, and I seeded it. That's all. Here's a pic of my yard a year and a half after seeding.

Best of luck with yrs. :)
Attachments
DSCF2360.JPG
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas