Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

grumpy neighbour

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

grumpy neighbour

Postby countrychic » Aug 17, 2010 1:30 pm

Well it seems after being in this house for only one year, we have a grumpy neighbour behind us.
I need a solution to making a privacy wall, so we won't have to see his rolling eyes anymore.
Some notes to consider:
Note no1. On his side of the low wire fence he has planted nothing, not a keen gardener we presume.
No2. His house is on a slope, so it is high up and overlooks our yard. If we put in a wooden fence, it wouldn't be high enough.
No3. He chats with the neighbour next to us over the fence, in the corner, and even though I am right there weeding, they totally ignore me like I am invisible. A simple 'hello' would be nice, as he hasn't said one word to us ever since moving day. This 'chat' makes my dog bark, and then he complains my dog is barking. I am fed up with rude neighbours. He seems to be the kind of person who will report the dog to the town.

What can I build in the corner so I don't have to see the daily 'chat' while they love and cuddle the neighbours dog and giver her treats, rolling eyes at me. Honestly, what have we done to them? Nothing. Just new people in an old neighbourhood who have been here for 20 years.

On our side of the fence we have 5 very mature Silver Maples, but in winter no leaves, so even more exposed to sighs and rolling eyes.
This spring we planted some scraggly-orphan small white cedars in between these maples. Some have died, some made it.
I also planted a creeper on the fence, a Silver Lace vine, but it is slow in the shade, and only covers the fence, no height...he might complain about the maintenance later...who knows.

So what else can I do to get height, and privacy in winter too, taking into account the giant maples trees roots? All ideas welcome!
Here are photos of the fence area.
countrychic

Re: grumpy neighbour

Postby Laura » Aug 17, 2010 3:35 pm

I would not put anything there .... I would just feel sorry for them and go on living my life ..... does it really matter to you what the neighbors do ?

... been living next to a crabby neighbor for 14 years .... he doesn't have to like me and I don't have to be bothered by him .... :D
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Aug 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Firstly, have you tried talking with them? Say a pleasant good morning, ask some questions about the neighbourhood type of thing? When we first moved into our house it was "Herb's House" for years. It took awhile for it to become "ours". If the previous people were in the house for any number of years and got along with the neighbours it's similar to a grieving process for them to get past the fact that someone else is living in the house.

If you've made the attempt and failed then perhaps something like a tall hedge would do the trick.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Laura » Aug 17, 2010 6:51 pm

Eeyore wrote:If you've made the attempt and failed then perhaps something like a tall hedge would do the trick.

... or it will just allow them to not like you for putting up a " barrier " .... :?:
Laura

Postby B_BQ » Aug 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Great fences make great neighbours - or something like that!

What a shame that people have to be so unfriendly.

We were terrified when we moved back into town nearly 5 years ago. For years we had lived on acreage and were very protective of our privacy. We were very lucky indeed. Not only did we find a house with a very private backyard, but the neighbours turned out to be wonderful, and just as private as we are.

I don't know what the answer is to your dilemma, but I would agree that you just continue to be friendly with other neighbours, and to go about your own business. The word will soon get around that you're not a threat, are great gardeners, and are approachable.

In the meantime, continue to plant.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Laura » Aug 18, 2010 6:06 am

Also sometimes people are just shy and do not approach thier neighbors.In my case I usually wait for people to approach me because I am shy and also I know some people do not welcome new friends very easily.And sometimes people lead busy lives and are pressed for time.

My grumpy neighbor treats the whole neighborhood with distain ... so I know it is not just me ... :wink:

I always smile and say good morning or good day when I see him and that is all I can do and leave him to live his life like I do mine.It is nice to be friends ... but it is his right not to if he chooses.

My neighbor has put a six foot board fence down the middle of the driveway he shares with his neighbor ... if that is not a sign that says " Keep Away " I don't know what is.So sad.

Laura

Postby orchidguy » Aug 18, 2010 12:13 pm

Welcome to being "The New Kid on the Block"........literally. In established neighbourhoods, it sometimes seems difficult to fit into the existing clique of neighbourhood activities.Only time will tell if they "let" you fit in or not. Dont let it get to you. Eye rolling and being ignored can be a blessing in disguise. I'm sure its only a territorial thing on their part, and maybe shouldnt be taken personally. If the neighbours are chatting by the corner, it might be a good place to build a small garden tool shed, or if feeling really nasty, maybe a compost bin, and can even give it a personal touch by putting on top one of those plywood cut-outs of a plump lady bent over with her butt in the air (just kidding of course)
Good luck to you countrychic

How much time he saves who does not look to see what his neighbor says or does or thinks.
Marcus Aurelius
orchidguy

Postby countrychic » Aug 19, 2010 11:03 am

thank you for all the replies. I still need ideas of what to plant or build for privacy. I don't want to see the neighbour anymore.
On my left the neighbours have put in a Privet hedge. It is so tall it is above our heads. Would this work by my back fence?

Do I continue putting in white cedars, hoping they survive under the maples, and grow tall?
What about bamboo? I dont know anything about bamboo growth habits and winter maintenance.
Is there another evergreen that will grow tall and fill in between maples?

Thankyou!
countrychic

Postby orchidguy » Aug 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Maybe you can erect a series of trellis' with the highest in the corner and then the ones next to them maybe a foot shorter and so on. I dont know what the by-laws are in your area for this, but it could provide the necessary peace of mind you are looking for when working out in the garden.If you plant virginia creeper, within 3 yrs they will likely be grown to the point of complete privacy on your part. I dont know if a privet hedge will grow in the shade of the maples (not sure of the exposure) Trellis work can be purchased quite cheaply and is even less expensive to make. Here is homemade trelliswork used for wisteria and clematis. This used to be a wood storage area in the crux of the workshop and machinery shed. The orange awining is being replaced with a pergola with sailcloth shading, and is being furnished with 2 wrought iron benches, tables and plant stand that was gotten at a barn auction for $25.00. This pic was taken the last week of May
clemmie with wisteria.jpg
wisteria behind shed.jpg
orchidguy

Postby Eeyore » Aug 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Cedars require a lot of water and so does bamboo. Bamboo can also become quite invasive so I would stay away from that. Silver lace vine will cover a trellis in a relatively short period of time. Hops and Virginia Creeper will as well. You'd have to look into the light and water requirements though.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas