Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

grumpy neighbour

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: grumpy neighbour

Postby mayet » Aug 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi Countrychic: yes, you do have a problem. I like orchidguy's idea of descending trellis, interspaced between the cedars. You could attach them to the fence but that won't solve the problem when winter comes. You could plant Emerald Cedar, they are easy to take care of and don't require much water.They can grow up to 1' per year.

Another solution might be to ask them if your dog can play with the neighbours, sometimes this breaks the ice.

If you grow any veg. give them some, just as a gesture. Nobody says you have to like them, they don't seem like the kind who want to be liked, but if you make the gesture and it is refused, then in go the cedars or trellis.

A royal pain, but this is not your doing and you should not feel guilty.

Jane
mayet

Postby countrychic » Aug 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Oh, I do like the idea of the trellis, interspaced with the evergreens. That would make it a good backdrop to the garden. I'll plant the virginia creeper, even in winter without leaves, the branches will add some cover. Thank you for the replies. Any other ideas still welcome!
countrychic

Postby haili » Aug 22, 2010 12:16 pm

I have English ivy growing in a shady spot. It takes a year or 2 to get bushy but eventually makes a pretty dense cover and the leaves stay on all winter. Euonymus might work also. Then there are cedars which my daughter uses for privacy and they grow quite tall.
haili

Postby Scrapinthehat » Aug 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Not sure what your budget is. Here are a few thoughts:
- a pavillion...solid roof with a solid back wall.
- a pergola...slated roof with solid or latticed privacy panels (grow vines on the lattice).
- trellis..grow vines.
- Junipers or Cedars lining the fence (Junipers are tougher than Cedars)

I've planted 24 Skyrocket Junipers against our fence, then added a pergola in front of them with a vine growing at the base of one of the support posts which will eventually cover the pergola. You have quite a bit of space there. Ultimately, layering plants and/or structures will be the most effective barrier.

There is no explaining what irks people. Don't dwell on it. Make your space beautiful and enjoy it...in privacy.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Countryboy » Aug 22, 2010 3:37 pm

In general, municipalities will allow a fence/trellis up to 2 metres high. Just sayin'......
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby countrychic » Aug 24, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the height restriction.

Yesterday I popped in to the nursery, and came home with 7 white cedars for $7 each. Can't pass up a bargain! So I have put them all in by the fence, replaced the smaller ones and the ones that didn't make it from spring. Now to watch them grow!
The trellis idea I will still consider. I didnt know English Ivy kept its leaves in winter!
countrychic

Postby Scrapinthehat » Aug 28, 2010 1:35 am

Hope all goes well with the Cedars and the neighbors. Keep us posted.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby countrychic » Aug 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Well the cedars are small and spindly, it will take a couple of years to fill out. My hubby and I were thinking of building a stick fence. Anyone done this before? Basically place 2 poles behind each other in the ground and then lay sticks across, tucking them in at the poles. I'll have to find a photo. It would use up our growing stick pile, and we might have to raid other yards on recycle day for their sticks to complete the wall, lol. or maybe I should make it out of bamboo for a more even finish.
countrychic

Postby agedgardener2 » Aug 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Personally I think it would be easier to make friends with them than go to all that trouble.I've always found that if you just keep being nice most people will come around..I've had a couple of grumpy neighbours in the past and that has always worked,.JOY
agedgardener2

Postby OGrubber » Aug 31, 2010 3:52 pm

I agree with Joy.
All you have to do is wave and shout a cheery hello/good morning/good afternoon when they are around and carry on with your gardening. It probably won't be long before one or the other will invite you over to answer some of their curiosity. That's all it'll take to break the ice.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas