Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Anybody used the angle broom?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Anybody used the angle broom?

Postby Raccoon » Sep 22, 2010 9:47 am

Hi there,
I'm not much experienced in taking care of lawns but I've just moved to a house with quite a spacious piece of a lawn and I was thinking about completing some useful equipment. I 've already got a lawnmower , rakes and some water cans and now I would like to buy the angle broom, like the one in the pic. I heard it cleans mud, snow and debris so that's fine with me, but isn't it going to damage the blades of grass or the pavement surface while cleaning stuff? Does anybody know?
Thanks in advance.
Raccoon

Re: Anybody used the angle broom?

Postby Eeyore » Sep 22, 2010 9:56 am

Welcome to the forums Racoon!

Holy crap! That's an expensive broom. Depending on the size of your property I'd seriosly question the cost. A good push broom and a shovel will clear away the majority of the mud, snow and other crap you'd want to clear up. The broom will pull up blades of grass but that's not a dig deal, they should grow back quickly. I don't know about damaging concrete but I imagine that frequent use would do some kind of damage.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Countryboy » Sep 22, 2010 11:16 am

I'm guessing that there's a cross-up in the broom pictures. That tractor-mounted rotary broom is powerful enuf to dig a trench in yr lawn. :shock:
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby kelly_m » Sep 22, 2010 2:11 pm

The only thing I have ever seen those types of brooms used for is by the township when the goo along the roads and "sweep" all the gravel back onto the shoulder!!! It probably will be fine on a good quality asphalt driveway, but would not want to use it on the lawn!

You can rent a much smaller version that I have seen used to clean up pine needs.....

Kthinking that is major overkill!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Raccoon » Sep 23, 2010 5:04 am

Hi,
you are right with the size of that broom. I wasn't specific enough, sorry for that. It's not that I want to buy this very model which, obviously, is too big for the garden ;) I was thinking about something of that kind, smaller and maneuverable. Can you advice anything? Where to look for? What brand is reliable? Thanks :)
Raccoon

Postby kelly_m » Sep 23, 2010 8:55 am

I don't have any specifics...but I have seen much smaller versions that attach to the back of riding mowers, and the one I mentioned was a push version similar in style to a snowblower.

I'd say check with your local rent-all type place and that way you could test it out before you buy.
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Sep 23, 2010 9:58 am

Good advice Kelly!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas