Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

How do I make my garden smaller?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: How do I make my garden smaller?

Postby Scrapinthehat » Oct 25, 2010 2:30 pm

I find my garden beds much less work than the grass, but this hasn't always been the case. When we first moved in, the beds were full of self-seeding and aggressive perennials that required a lot of maintenance. It was a bit of work removing all of the unwanted stuff and researching and replanting with well-behaved plants, but it has been well worth the effort. Mulch is a godsend!

Like others have mentioned, adding shrubs and small trees will fill in the area without a lot of ongoing work. I especially like spireas and junipers for filling in areas. If you are not very knowledgable about plants and don't have much time, then utilizing a quick design service is well worth your time and money. Most garden centres offer these services at a reasonable price, and often for free if you purchase your plants from them.

The only real maintenance free yard is probably concrete or maybe that new plastic grass.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas