Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

How do I make my garden smaller?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

How do I make my garden smaller?

Postby elizabeth24 » Oct 23, 2010 1:41 pm

I love to garden, however for many reasons, I now need to make my front garden smaller. I cannot just add grass seed though, as there is something similiar to concrete at the edge of the garden that goes down at least a foot and a half and is too heavy to take out. I am feeling overwhelmed by it all, and would appreciate any suggestions. For some reason I have not been able to read any of the threads today, so hope that is just a temporary problem. Thank you for your ideas.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Re: How do I make my garden smaller?

Postby jojo54 » Oct 23, 2010 2:42 pm

can you show us a pic? I always think better with visuals.
I love gardening, chickens, baking, reading - not necessarily always in that order. check out my blog http://mountaingardengleanings.blogspot.com/
New posting every Monday and Thursday.
jojo54

Postby Laura » Oct 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Maybe put some stone down or some gravel .... if it is a long fowerbed it could be a nice wide strip like a path or if it is a round or oval bed you could put a decoration of some kind in the middle.
Laura

Postby elizabeth24 » Oct 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Sorry, no I won't be showing any pics as it has grown out of control. It is better now that I have been outside for the past hour taking care of that, but still...

I had thought of gravel or stones, but don't want them getting on the grass and the lawnmower being ruined.Also, won't weeds grow anyways?

In parts, the heavy concrete like blocks stick up above the ground possibly half an inch, but in others it doesn't at all.

Yes, it is a long and wide front garden. I have two other gardens as well as the asparagus garden, otherwise I could take care of the front garden.

Appreciate all ideas, thank you

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Postby Laura » Oct 23, 2010 4:46 pm

What about a ground cover ... something that will be low growing and less maintenance ... creeping thyme or something like it.

Are you keeping some flowers there or covering the whole thing ?
Laura

Postby elizabeth24 » Oct 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Something like creeping thyme sounds like a great idea. Is it invasive? If it is, do you know of somethingt that is not? I do have some flowers growing in the garden, but other than the Roses, Tulips, Daffodils, Irises, and some snapdragons, that I would like to keep there, I think that is a great idea.

lavatera
elizabeth24

Postby Laura » Oct 23, 2010 8:24 pm

I think anything that creeps is somewhat risky to get out of hand but with creeping thyme at least it is easy to pull out.There are some variety's that are okay to walk on even.I am not that knowledgeable about exact names but if you do a search you are sure to find something that will work in your zone and conditions.
Laura

Postby elizabeth24 » Oct 23, 2010 10:16 pm

Yes, I need to do something, as my back is hurting after being in the garden today, and I was careful not to do anything that could hurt it. I do have some of Lamium maculatum 'Aureum' in my garden that a neighbor gave me years ago. I think it can be invasive, but since it is in a separate part in the garden, it has been fine. Does anyone know anything about it? I have googled it, but am wondering if anyone has any in their garden. By the way I am in zone 6a.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Postby Laura » Oct 24, 2010 6:29 am

I think if you put your question about Lamium maculatum 'Aureum' in " Plant Talk " you will get a better response .... I am no help for you on that one ... :|
Laura

Postby countrychic » Oct 25, 2010 11:08 am

Elizabeth, I had the same problem. The prev owners made most of the front yard a flowerbed with only a strip of grass edging the street. This summer, I found it would be a lot of work to fill in all the gaps and to maintain the front. I prefer to be in my back yard and spend more time there.
I went to my local nursery where they have a landscape designer on site, who for 30 minute FREE consultation gives you a plan of what to do and a drawing of your new flowerbed with plant names.
My sketch took my huge bed and halved it and replaced that with grass, made the border curved, and most of the plant suggestions were low maintenance so I won't have to spend that much time out there. The plants were pyramid box woods and lots and lots of shrubs like weigelas and hydrangeas, and a rose or two. Junipers too. And lots of mulch, at least 4 inch deep to keep the weeding at bay.
Ccheck out your local nurseries, or drive a little further to find those that do have this service. All you need to take is some photos, a rough sketch of the size of the area, and what you want to keep.
Good luck!
countrychic

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas