Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

How to create a good design for my garden

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

How to create a good design for my garden

Postby Strilets12 » Feb 15, 2011 10:54 am

hi people!

about 3 month ago I moved to a new house. There are fruit trees on the backyard - an apple tree and 2 plum trees.
very good area,
I also think that will be great to turn it into beautiful garden...e.g. build arbour and do some landscape works to make it's look better

I started from searching help in Internet and I found a 3D tool where I could create my backyard to see how it will look if I will decorate it

here what I've got My garden

I would like to ask you about feedback or advice on how it could be improved?
Attachments
Garden design.jpg
Strilets12

Re: How to create a good design for my garden

Postby Countryboy » Feb 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Me?? I like to walk out the patio door and sit down. I don't want to carry my coffee across half the yard to do it. So, for me, gazebos are not practical . . tho they do look good from a distance . . as garden art mostly. I do stand to be corrected 'coz, in some circumstances, they can be useful.

But, while I'm standing to be corrected . . lol . . I would say that too tables and chairs must go on a solid surface. Even that 'accent planter thingy' (?) would have to be set on a patio or deck . . . or sumthin'. lol

I designed/am designing my yard from the edges in. I pretend I'm sitting on my patio, at my table and chairs, in the shade *or out, depending on the weather* and figure out what I want to be looking at from that vantage.

Best of luck! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Laura » Feb 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Countryboy wrote:I designed/am designing my yard from the edges in. I pretend I'm sitting on my patio, at my table and chairs, in the shade *or out, depending on the weather* and figure out what I want to be looking at from that vantage.

Very good advice ...
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Feb 16, 2011 12:07 am

I agree with Frank. Pick an area where you would be likely to sit and enjoy a glass of wine or a coffee and try to envision what you want to see.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Strilets12 » Feb 16, 2011 6:03 am

hi all
thanks for your answers!!!
you are all right... but I'm afraid that I'm suffer from megalomania... :lol:
so I need smth magnificent inmy garden and I won't be satisfied with usual design....
Strilets12

Postby Countryboy » Feb 16, 2011 1:23 pm

LOL, Megalomaniac.... :wink:

Well then :).......If u want sumthin' grand, pick it, then build around it.

So maybe what yr doin' with yr design program will work. Once u decide on that grand thing, if it's anything like the scale that's in the pic, yr next step is to talk to whoever's gonna build it.

Dunno where u live but pretty soon the Canada Blooms show is on in Toronto. There's the latest in 'grand' garden things and designs on display there. All in one room. It might be worth a visit. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Feb 16, 2011 5:50 pm

From the POV of a do-it-yourself female, I am a bit weary of that circular bed. It will be difficult to edge (2 circles) and it is a grass-bait, since it's so narrow. Plus it will always call for the same size annuals to fill it or a ground-cover perannial which will not bloom for long. I find that informal and curvy look with simple shape beds (beans, clouds) are easier to maintain and plant over with a lot of plants, that are all different and bloom in different time. My 2 cents.
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Laura » Feb 17, 2011 7:36 am

Where are you gardening ? Are you wanting to copy this picture exactly ?
Laura

Postby Lulu » Feb 17, 2011 10:38 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum, Strilets12!

Pretty grandiose project you have there! Pictures of your progress would be great!

As for feedback on how it could be improved,,,hard to say,,not knowing the entire plan or dimensions of your yard. Tell us more,,,like what zone are you in? Any chance the frost could shift this? Are you planning a solid floor or,,"au natual", for this pergola? Do you do a lot of outdoor entertaining,,etc., etc.

What do you plan for entertaining a group? A patio set (comfy couches, chairs & chaise loungers) might prove to be far more serviceable, comfortable, and allow for conversations, rather than a huge circular bed that offers little in the way of face to face encounters, and no back support.
Lulu

Postby Scrapinthehat » Feb 18, 2011 1:08 pm

I just read an article that says to intentionally place a seating area (ie. patio) deep into your property to encourage a person out into the yard rather than just sit on their deck/patio right out the back door and simply look at the yard from there. Makes sense to an extent, but I wouldn't haul a bunch of stuff (ie. food, dishes, etc) across my yard...maybe just a glass of iced tea (or stronger :lol: ).So I think there should be a main entertaining/dining area right off the house, a secret/private area to get away and call your own, and a bench or collection of heavy, no maintenance pieces that can always be keep outdoors situated far into the garden to take in the view. But that's just me....if we all had the same ideas, that would be pretty boring. And many yards are so small now that there is no space for all these "rooms" so one muntifuntional space may be the solution.

The area in question looks like it is meant for pure relaxation. If that was the purpose of this spot, then you nailed it, especially if you have it situated in the quiet part of your garden. However, if you are needing a place to entertain (as others have mentioned) then you may want different furniture. I love the idea of something "grand" in the garden. However, if that something "grand" requires annual maintenance (ie. sanding, staining, etc), then you've signed up for a lot of work every year. Good luck with your project. There are lots of great idea books at home improvement stores to help.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas