Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Lawn in a shady back yard - possible?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Lawn in a shady back yard - possible?

Postby BrianbytheBay » Mar 14, 2011 10:25 am

Those Maples that everyone seems so fond of in this post(chuckle), are actually considered a pest in some areas. Without a seeing a photo of the area, If it were me, I would leave the tree farthest from the house, remove the rest, and then dress, and seed the lawn.
Brian
BrianbytheBay

Postby Carlley » Mar 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Tried to post a couple of days ago but couldn't - anyway, here's my experience. I have a north/south lot as well, surrounded by a canopy of cedars. The lot is terraced, north to south, and I just wanted a couple of grass areas for the grandkids to play on, and I like the look of grass.

I prepped two areas separated by a mulch path, good soil, a layer of sand, good quality seed purchased from a local turf farm, etc. To my amazement grass sprouted, I overseeded, and it started looking pretty good. Then came a windstorm following a particularly dry spell, and I woke up to a 'sea of red' of dried cedar and fir needles. Raked it all up, the side that receives slightly more light recovered a little, but the other plot shows no evidence of grass ever being planted!

I was in the garden center the other day, found a product that looked promising, and at Costco the following day found the same product - $45(?) for a 15 pound pail - $30 for a 3 lb jug at the garden center. I took the leap - it's called Scotts Turfbuilder EZseed, a mulch, grass seed and fertilizer that claims - New! Revolutionary Mulch plus seed and fertilizer - Grows anywhere! Guaranteed! Grows in dense shade. Also claims to be 50% thicker with half the water.

Almost sounds to good to be true, but since I have already gone to great effort to prepare the areas, I'm going to try again. Weather depending, I'll probably seed in the next 2-4 weeks (if the wind ever stops howling!

I'll let you know how it goes.
Carla
Indian Arm, North Vancouver, BC - Zone 7

Some people walk in the rain - others just get wet ! ..... Roger Miller
Carlley

Postby Katherine » Mar 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks for the hot tip Carlley. I am looking for just that sort of combination for my river garden.

kat
Katherine

Postby Carlley » Mar 31, 2011 1:33 pm

Most welcome Kat! Haven't seeded yet the monsoons here have been relentless, hope to get it done next week if the temps come up a bit. Was looking at photos of English river gardens bordered by grass last night and the result is quite spectacular.

I'll post my results, and if you take the leap, we can compare notes.

Cheers
Carla
Indian Arm, North Vancouver, BC - Zone 7

Some people walk in the rain - others just get wet ! ..... Roger Miller
Carlley

Postby Katherine » Mar 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Ok, will do. I am not sure my river garden is ever going to resemble the beautiful shoreline gardens of England. More just a bunch of boulders and lodgepole pine to get in the way of glimpses from a snowberry patch on the slope. But hey.
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Mar 31, 2011 5:09 pm

Kat, why fight nature? You've got a beautiful location and there is so much you could do with it that doesn't require lawn seed.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Heidi S » Apr 08, 2011 2:53 pm

Have you considered clover - it can be mown like grass but is more hardy. From what I have read, it is not great in full shade, but does fine in partial shade. Some people do a mix of clover and shade tolerant grass seed to obtain a good coverage.

I have been over-seeding my patchy lawn with the eco lawn seed (not with the mulch included though) and plan to add some clover to it. However, I don't there is much you can do in full cold shade. I have one patch of it in the back yard, and I am putting pavers in random patterns in it as it is a major traffic zone too.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas