Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

New! Love it here!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: New! Love it here!

Postby Eeyore » Mar 22, 2011 11:43 am

It looks to me like you've got a pretty good start. Do you plan to keep the same style of pathway as what I see by the bench? If so, I would continue that all the way around to the deck area. make it meandering of course. Use the TV antenna as a trellis for aomething like a tall clematis. Replace the trellis on the chimney with a taller one. Make a lattice box to hide the AC unit..... Love the pruned spruce! Yoiu can really work with that. What direction does the house face?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby orchidguy » Mar 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Welcome to the forum JJ.
I have to agree with Lyn about the meandering path/walkway around the flowerbed. The more soft curves put into it, the slower people will walk it and enjoy the gardens more.
One other suggestion is (IMO) stay away from masses of very bright yellow flowers, they tend to look harsh against the colour of your brickwork. If a fan of yellow, golds, ambers and yellows with greenish undertones should compliment the house a lot more.
orchidguy

Postby Laura » Mar 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Yes ... pretty much what Lyn said ... you could plant a nice scrub or tree with berries for the birds ...

.... and I would love to see a picture of your pooch .... noticed a Kong on the lawn :wink:

.... P.S. ... sometimes it is a few days before you can post pictures,if you need help with that just ask .... :)
Laura

Postby Carlley » Mar 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Another Welcome! I'm relatively new here as well and can't believe all the talent and knowledge. I don't post often and haven't had any luck posting photos, but look forward to seeing your garden evolve.

Good luck!
Carla
Indian Arm, North Vancouver, BC - Zone 7

Some people walk in the rain - others just get wet ! ..... Roger Miller
Carlley

Postby jjgrinder » Mar 22, 2011 12:57 pm

WOW! Quick and great responses.

OK...yes...can have something going up the TV antenna and replace the trellis with a taller one on the chimney.

Some kind of trellis box has already been mentioned to hubby. ;) Yes, I do plan on keeping the same type of path using flagstone...but wouldn't mind incorporating something else as well...(I just don't know what).

If I could pick your brains some more....what I would IDEALLY like is to get in a rototiller and tear up a good portion of that grass you see alongside the house. Running the path through from front to back with foliage, plants, etc, whatever...on either side. While at the same time incorporating those spruce trees. Maybe a bench, arbor, etc...

So keep the ideas coming everyone! Loving it!

And yes...I'll get a pic of my dog(s)...we have three of them!

Thanks again everyone!
jjgrinder

Postby Eeyore » Mar 22, 2011 4:00 pm

What is your bench looking at now? What I picture is the path passing in front of the spruce trees and then making a wide sweep around the back of the next one, then swing back in an arc to join up with the steps coming off the deck . Definately use some shrubs along the path, intersperse some berry shrubs to attract birds. Those spruces are awesome focal points and could be used as destination points with some sort of suprise or feature garden nearby. Perhaps a Hosta Garden, a rock garden, a fairy garden and maybe a small pond area.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » Mar 22, 2011 10:02 pm

Yeah!! Welcome, Welcome!! I've been neglectful looking at this forum lately and look what I've missed. Glad you decided to join in.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas