Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Container or Square Foot Gardening

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Container or Square Foot Gardening

Postby caitlinlj » May 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi everybody!

I'm sure this has been mentioned often before, but I am a new gardener who thinks Container/Square foot gardening is a wonderful idea! I love the idea of producing fresh veggies with little weeding and a small space, especially as my husband and I rent and can't dig up a garden at our rental house. My grandfather recently "discovered" this and has set his daughters and even a couple of his grandaughters up with their own 'box gardens'. I think he uses this book or one by the same author, check it out:

http://18e915lh4cj8n39dalmn9serbe.hop.clickbank.net/

I'm very excited about trying this and hope my new garden does well. Have any of you tried this type of gardening?
caitlinlj

Re: Container or Square Foot Gardening

Postby Heidi S » May 06, 2011 10:15 pm

I do both in ground and container veggie gardening. I do my potatoes in pots because I have developed scab in my raised beds and using fresh potting soil prevents it so that was my solution.

I also start an earlier crop of things like lettuce and radishes in pots in my greenhouse. I have tumbler tomatoes in hanging baskets, herbs in pots, and I have done both cucumbers and scarlet runner beans in large pots with a trellis to support them. I don't think there is anything you can't do in a pot, except maybe asparagus, since it is a perennial.

So, just go for it, and you will find what works for you! The key will be sunshine, fertilizer and water, lots of water!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: Container or Square Foot Gardening

Postby Countryboy » May 07, 2011 9:05 am

This link just came thru my Facebook feed. Some good ideas for growing plants vertically. Great for people with little garden space. And mostly from stuff that's lyin' around the house. :)

http://www.readymade.com/blog/home-and-garden/2011/05/06/gardens_that_arent_5_diy_ideas_for_growing_veggies_without_a_yard
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas