Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

help with front yard please!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: help with front yard please!

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Thank you, Karen - I am looking forward to seeing what you did, and how successful it was, since I will be trying a few more things on the front lawn. And My neigbour and I have that narrow strip between our houses we keep chatting about developing with something other than grass.
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby abolla1 » May 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Because the yard is so small I would ripe up all the grass and either put paver, stone or mulch down. Then I would add my flowers into pots. I also use things like lettuce for stuffers so I can have my own veggies to eat. You can also put the pots on wheels so they can be moved around with the sun if you need to.
This way if you are also shovelling snow there in the winter no concerns about the salt and plants.
abolla1

Postby karen03 » May 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Ok, we've decided to put a garden bed (hostas, daylilies, groundcovers)around the tree to about a foot from the driveway & put a hedge between the neighbors(we're still looking around for hedging). We don't put a lot of salt on our driveway during the winter time & I've read that hosta can tolerate some salt. Eventually I will probably rip all the grass out but a small area is a start.

I started pulling the grass out today by the tree. There's a lot of tree roots, biggest is the size of my pinky. The elm tree in front (i think it's elm) is about 3 years old, will this hurt the tree? Should I continue taking the grass out or should i create a raised bed around the area?

Thanks again in advance for any input.
karen03

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 27, 2011 11:16 am

I have never yet managed to hurt a tree by pulling grass around it. Building a raised bed around a tree is a little tricky becuase you will have to slope towards the tree, as you do not want to pile soil too high up the tree trunk, or it may start growing all the unwanted babies at the base. Good luck with the bed!
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Eeyore » May 27, 2011 11:38 am

Elena is right, you don't want to raise the bed around the tree too high. It could damage the trunk and lead to decline in the tree.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby karen03 » Jun 09, 2011 11:37 am

updated pictures. we planted hostas for now, still has to plant the hedging. The plan is to dig out the rest of the grass (maybe next year) & put a rock bed with water feature. On the side, we covered the grass with rocks.

Can someone identify the clematis in front of our house? I bought it 3 years ago & lost the tag. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
DSCF3173.JPG
hostas
DSCF3158.JPG
clematis
DSCF3175.JPG
side of the house
DSCF3172.JPG
hostas
karen03

Postby maryjanel » Jun 10, 2011 3:58 am

Karen,
I think your Clematis might be Multi Blue. I have one and it sure looks like yours.

Mary-Jane
maryjanel

Postby B_BQ » Jun 10, 2011 8:11 am

My Multi-Blue looks very similar to yours too!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby karen03 » Jun 10, 2011 9:38 am

thanks ladies! :D
karen03

Postby jmace » Sep 05, 2011 11:31 am

I wouldn't worry so much about salt unless you salt your driveway in the winter (could use sand instead of salt)? The salt will be an issue closer to the side walk and street, unless your city/town doesn't use salt (some don't). I planted a boulevard garden and have had no issues with winter salt and snow but I do end up with gravel on it after the snow melts (I just throw more mulch over it).

You could do a raised bed that runs parallel with the driveway and then use crushed white stone or crushed red clay between the raised bed and the driveway. As for what to plant, depends on the sun, zone, etc. However, I agree with all that I would plant the whole thing and not leave any grass.

My eyes would be glazed over just imagining the possibilities of that strip of lawn!
jmace

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas