Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Manitoba prairie grass in a rock bed

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Manitoba prairie grass in a rock bed

Postby styric » May 24, 2011 11:28 pm

How on EARTH do I scare it off. The landscaping paper under it is just not cutting it..

I have two dogs and a toddler who run and play on this bed, so weed killer is generally not an option. I've pulled up from the roots (it was back the next day), boiling water, vinegar & soap.. I swear it's plotting world domination.

The bed in question after ripping the grass out from the stones, it doesn't come up near the plants:

The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Re: Manitoba prairie grass in a rock bed

Postby Eeyore » May 25, 2011 12:35 am

Is it quack grass that you are referring to? The usual thinner landscape fabric doesn't stop that stuff at all. You need the real good stuff. If it's simply rooting from the top and not through the fabric then just keep pulling it up. Rock mulch tend to collect a lot of decomposing material and seeds which ='s weeds!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » May 25, 2011 9:00 am

other than using round up I don't know what would eliminate your problem....you could paint the grass with it and it wouldn't harm your kids or dogs.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby styric » May 25, 2011 12:56 pm

It is most definitely quack grass. I HATE that stuff. I swear it is laughing at me as it takes over..

Looks like digging up the stones and putting down better landscaping paper is my project sometime this summer. I wonder how much beer it would take to bribe my soldier buddies into moving those rocks for me..
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas