Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Rock garden?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Rock garden?

Postby CarolynM » Jul 24, 2011 3:53 pm

earwig, what a great rock garden, thanks for sharing your photos, must have been a ton of work but well worth it in the end.
CarolynM

Postby curlysue » Oct 12, 2011 8:31 pm

wow your rock gardens are lovely!!I have a slope at the front of my house thats hard for me to mow ,thinking maybe a rock garden would be a good solution?
curlysue

Postby earwig » Oct 15, 2011 10:47 am

Curlysue it could be a very good solution. Do some research first as although a fair amount of work to make, I find the maintenace can be fairly low if done properly.

I like my second one much better than the first as I learned from my mistakes on the first. Planning to do another area next year as I am trying to make more of my garden low maintenance.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Blossom » Oct 16, 2011 9:11 am

Earwig - I just love what you have accomplished in your space. What a dedicated gardener you are.I was considering putting in a rock garden in a spot that was just created as a result of my stupidity. I decided to trim a very old lilac tree that was overgrown. Now, I admit I do not trim well. My late husband was the one that would do all the trimming and shaping of shrubs and trees. Well I started hacking and cutting until I completely destroyed it. Had to call my son with the chain saw to finish the job. After seeing your pix of what it involves I think I will just leave the space for now. . . I'm trying to have less work around here, but I do love looking at your photos.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby samthomas » Jan 25, 2012 8:58 am

Winter weather in the Hawaiian North west generally means water. And lots of it. Once it begins, most vegetation turn to mush, except the little vegetation in my mountain yard (rock garden). It's awesome to have something to look at and appreciate in winter. As I'm committed to a geologist of types, we have obtained a pretty mountain selection around which I've placed my vegetation.
samthomas

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » May 23, 2012 10:12 pm

I have a different spin on rock gardens. The previous examples are fabulous by the way. I have a hard time keeping trees alive and growing-- especially mugos and cedars. So, I did an experiment and planted two low growing cedars and then left one in a worked up bed and the other, I mulched with thick newspaper and then put rocks on top to cover the paper. I did not water nor fertilize and the cedar that was mulched grew at least twice as fast as the non mulched cedar. So then, I started to plant perennials in a bed and mulched in between the plants in the same manner. I lost a lot less. I live in a dry area in the middle the of the grain belt and during the summer, it gets really hot and dry. So in this manner I created an oasis in my yard that I don't need to water. The plants are really starting to grow in now and more and more the rocks are covered. It is virtually maintenance free!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby earwig » May 24, 2012 6:18 pm

Mygrandmeresgarden wrote:It is virtually maintenance free!
Now that is the kind of garden we all need.

Here is a photo taken this morning of the rock garden. It is filling in quite nicely. Still have some tweaking to do (as will as weeding). Not sure if I really like that container although once it is filled it may look OK. I wanted a really heavy one there as I get a lot of wind and I have already had one break when it hit the rocks.
img_1394.jpg
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas