Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Yard Sales

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Yard Sales

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 06, 2011 5:29 am

(((((BIG gentle hugs))))) for you, Northpine. I can relate how bad back pain feels. :(

I hope it heals quickly so you can get outside and play in your gardens real soon.

Note: Clyde, the instructions for the rhubarb leaf is at the bottom of page one.

CdnChelsea

Postby Goldens » Jul 06, 2011 6:33 am

I LOVE finding new and unexpected uses for old things. I do a lot of that kind of shopping around Halloween. Every year I do a huge Halloween display on different themes. It's so much fun hunting down costumes, props and things to make costumes and props. I once found a broken kid's play station, draped it with a black blanket, put a 'cauldron' on the base and used it for my witch's coven. So simple but it cost virtually nothing.

I tend to go to second hand and thrift stores for that stuff though since garage sales would take far too much time and that's a crazy time of year.

Now that I have a new hobby in gardening, I will keep an eye out. I love the bird bath you made! Far better than any I've seen in the stores. Bravo!
Goldens

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 06, 2011 7:50 am

Thank you Goldens for the compliment and encouragement. :)

CdnChelsea

Postby Eeyore » Jul 06, 2011 10:25 am

So if I read this right that ugly wall hanging is etched on the back as well as the front? :?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Yes Eeyore, you are right. The wall hanging is etched on both sides. Here is some pictures of both sides:

front of wall hanging:
IMG_0002.JPG

back of wall hanging:
IMG_0001.JPG

side of wall hanging to show the depth when made into a bird bath:
IMG_0003.JPG

I chose to put the concrete on the back side so the etching would show up in the bowl of the bird bath.

CdnChelsea

Postby Trailblaze1 » Jul 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Maybe I'm wierd, but I like that wall hanging as it is. The concrete version of it is nice too though.

Here's my hypertufa bowl I made using a rhubarb leaf, outside but the inside is plain.

Do people actually plant stuff in these? or would it work best as a birdbath? hmmmm.....great idea! I'd been using it for a hat for my pig mascot.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Diane, since your hypertufa bowl doesn't have a drainage hole, I agree with you about using it as a bird bath instead.

CdnChelsea

Postby Laura » Jul 06, 2011 9:59 pm

I think your bowl is a bit deep for a bird bath,a sloped bird bath is best with the outside edge 1 inch and sloping into the middle no deeper than 3 inches .... you could make a mini water garden for the frogies,put some rocks in it and a plant or two.
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Jul 07, 2011 10:46 am

Some river rocks in the bottom of the bowl will work as a bird bath.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Laura » Jul 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Yes that would help with the water level ... makes it a bit harder to clean though.
Laura

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas