Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

What to underplant...

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

What to underplant...

Postby styric » Jul 07, 2011 5:51 pm

I've got a large 30 year old crooked shed that I cant afford to replace so I levelled the door so it could close again and we're reshingling it. I then put up lattice (Equally crooked of course) and planted vines all around it. Have Harlequin honeysuckle, ivy, bluebird clematis and jackmanii clematis planted around as half the shed is in sun, half in part shade.

Most of these get leggy or need root shade. I'm currently using mulch and broken crockery. What to use to underplant?
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Re: What to underplant...

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 07, 2011 9:03 pm

I have a large Hosta under one of my Clematis. The other Clematis has daylilies in front of it.

CdnChelsea

Postby kelly_m » Jul 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Good idea!! Or you can ground cover with something like vinca or creeping jenny...
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jul 08, 2011 1:54 am

I'm thinking something around two feet tall with a rounded overall shape....Hosta and Daylily are good choices. Also, maybe a Coral Bell. Some Campanula would work, but be cautious of the aggressive ones.

I have a Clemmie with a daylily front of it and a dwarf burning bush behind it (hard to describe the area). Another one has Barberry bushes and roses around it. Another one has a Mondarda by it. Another has Oriental Lilies by it and yet others have Hosta. I guess several things would work.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Bug » Jul 13, 2011 2:44 pm

How about a rock or several? That's what I have.
Bug

Postby Radiomars » Jul 13, 2011 3:00 pm

I suppose it depends on the amount of sunlight, soil, the height of groundcover etc. I have used mouse ears hostas in a shady, damp woodland spot, hedges of daylilies in more open areas, and to the bane of my garden, planted vinca minor. It has taken over everything and is choking the life out of my heucheras and cranesbill and trying to sneak it's way into the nearby A/C unit. Pulling it out is nearly impossible, as the runners left in the soil will sprout new plants, and spraying it with a non-selective herbicide is not legal in Ontario.

If anyone has a suggestion about getting rid of this lovely pest I'd love to hear it.
Radiomars

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas