Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Wet. boggy woodland

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Wet. boggy woodland

Postby PaulaD » Sep 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Help. The land at the back of our house is mainly wet and boggy and treed. Can anyone help with suggestions. Keepinh it natural seems to be the was ti go but where to start? I am enthusiastic but not a gardener. I am however wannabeso not easily fazed.Suggeztions where ti start please.
PaulaD

Re: Wet. boggy woodland

Postby Laura » Sep 19, 2011 3:11 pm

I think you are totally on the right track with a natural woodland garden.Look on-line for a forestry department and see if they have a list of native plants for where you are.Also you can google native or woodland gardens and there is lots of info about how to start.

I was doing this for my shady garden until two of my trees got damaged and now I must look for sun-loving plants.

Can you tell us where you are located and maybe post a picture of the spot ? ... I am interested in this subject and maybe we can learn a little about it together ... I am in New Brunswick,zone 4b.
Laura

Postby PaulaD » Sep 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Thankyou Laura for your reply. We have just moved to Nova Scotia and really would lije ti open up the wet woodland area. I will search some of your suggestions. Thanks again
PaulaD

Postby Countryboy » Sep 19, 2011 6:10 pm

Wild Iris . . Iris Versicolour . . is a Wildflower over much of the American and Canadian Maritime provinces. And they thrive in a boggy spot. :)

Just don't snack on the rhizomes!! :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_versicolor
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby samthomas » Jan 25, 2012 8:47 am

Wet woodlands need waterflow and drainage ditches that are managed - the normal water desk in winter season plants other than alder is not able to sustain main techniques further than.

we have six waters three in a field removing and three in the wooden itself and Our do is usually quite wet and boggy in locations. As we are handling it generally for creatures, this is a great environment.

However we do have dry locations, and so camping outdoors is not a issue for example to do coppicing, walls, tree-planting the issue is getting around to do work . taking, and of course taking out the wooden can be hard too Even with a 4 x 4 car, getting to some locations is very difficult and time.
samthomas

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas