Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Garden Design

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Garden Design

Postby neng_perea » Feb 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Scrapt, I wonder why i cannot post onto this topic, every time my comment disappeared 3x.. only testing this time if I can..
neng_perea

Postby neng_perea » Feb 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Scrapt, I give up for this one, i don't understand it happen again.sorry,..
neng_perea

Postby neng_perea » Mar 03, 2012 10:42 pm

@Scrapt,

When I start a garden, I begin by just buying plants, without any sort of plan. I think its based on how I feel about the garden and what it needs. Sometimes the plants just don't fit, and I change it up again. Be ambitious with the garden and experiment. You'll only know what works for you from experience!

I think gardens' really depend on what you want. After experimenting this year, I've learned that even though I have a big and beautiful garden, it takes too much effort to upkeep! I personally enjoy seeing your plants, and your garden looks wonderful as well!

P.S. I've sent you a PM, check if it's there!
neng_perea

Postby Scrapinthehat » Mar 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Thanks for the kind words Neng. I try to plan, but occasionally cave to impulse purchases too. I'm puzzled how people manage to create a garden in one year. Just doesn't seem feasible to me. I wouldn't make a good garden designer I guess.

I have lots of plants I love, just not happy with the overall look of the garden yet. And there is always that balance between beauty and maintenance. I don't want to "have to" be in the garden all of the time, so this greatly influences plant choices here regardless of how beautiful they are.

I don't seem to have a PM from you, Neng, maybe try again. I'd love to hear from you.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby neng_perea » Mar 06, 2012 12:55 am

Scrapt,
If is Okay can I post this... and tell me what you think..

Neng
Attachments
IMG_4145.JPG
IMG_4147.JPG
Hostas bed before not anymore..
IMG_4135.JPG
This flower bed is only 2 years ago;
IMG_4029.JPG
I give away to someone, plants under the crab apple Tree .
IMG_4129.JPG
also this plants that I give away.
IMG_4120.JPG
and this one.
neng_perea

Postby Scrapinthehat » Mar 06, 2012 2:51 am

It's definitely ok to post pics Neng. Looks like you have some low maintenance plants there (ie. Peony, Bleeding Hearts, Bergenia, Lilies, etc). Everything should fill in nicely this year. It's nice to have the cedar on the end to provide a bit of winter structure. I love the idea of vines growing up the trellis' on either side of your front door. Do you have Clematis planted there? Also, what happened to your Hosta bed?

At first it was hard for me to get rid of plants that weren't right for my garden, especially if I paid good money for them, but I've learned that it is part of the process. Looks like you have gotten rid of a few too.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Scrapinthehat

Postby neng_perea » Mar 06, 2012 4:54 am

Scrapt, the Hostas bed is gone, changing for something. I will post the Hostasbed n

Why I give away some of my plants because of this...; let see if I can post my picture last summer.
Attachments
CIMG1529.JPG
CIMG1137.JPG
Garden 2011 ..Finally but wait ,,
CIMG1162.JPG
The plants I give away I change with these. i moved hostas here,
CIMG1141.JPG
Climbing Rose behind the fish pond.
CIMG0824.JPG
CIMG0829.JPG
CIMG0793.JPG
IMG_2048.JPG
year 2009, the trellis on this pictures is gone.
neng_perea

Postby Scrapinthehat » Mar 06, 2012 12:56 pm

Wow Neng, that's quite the garden you have there. I really like the pic of the Iris with the flower beds in the background...quite lush looking, which is what I'm trying to achieve.

I have a bed that will get completely dug up and replanted this year too. I like the plants, just not how they're arranged together. This will require moving about 30 plants, in addition to adding several new ones. Luckily most of them are small (Dwarf Astilbe, Coral Bells, Dwarf Bleeding Hearts) so it shouldn't be backbreaking work, but it's work nonetheless. At some point, I need to stop rearranging plants and just allow them to fill in or else the garden will never get that lush look.
Scrapinthehat

Postby Dumbo » Mar 06, 2012 1:43 pm

WOW, neng_perea. NICE! I bet that keeps you quite busy.

When I bought our current house 2 years ago it had zero flowers. It still doesn't have any.

I need someone like you to figure something out for my front yard.
Dumbo

Postby neng_perea » Mar 08, 2012 4:04 am

Good morning!

Scrapt, how many times that I change my garden, again and again; so I asked my self what I want ; and my garden has no design..this is I want.

I like to have a garden that full of flowers all summer long also some fruit and veggie..so to have that I need something and between.

I have an early plant like iris, Oriental onion, siberian iris,and delphinium this I planted by the fence in between of these plant I have roses, Lily , Sea Holy , Holly hock ,then plants in middle that long last till fall like echinacea, Roses, Phlox,in between of these plant I have lilies.. then the front row the Day lily, Baby Breath, Oriental Poppy, lily,hostas, Latries, Lupin, roses etc.

My favorite plants are roses, lilies, delphinium and Clematis..My Clematis in my front yard won't grow there.

Scrapt, astilbe, breading hearts both early plants, coral bells stay longer till fall,these the plants that i am thinking, Veronica,Euphorbia Spurge, Lady mantel,Sedum, Roses, Lilies, lamb ears, Gloves Thistle, Phlox,Baby Breath, Siberian Iris, Peones, day lily,d'wart joe p. weed and bug bane. Just wait this spring I will give you some plants.Okay

Dumbo, i am happy afters years years and now i have one my own small paradise..Just try dont give up, post a picture of your garden, I want to see it too.

Thank you!

Fruits and veggie I planted them in between of my plants..
neng_perea

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas