Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Front bed idea

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Front bed idea

Postby tulips76 » Jan 25, 2012 11:03 pm

My house faces NW, and currently has a large euonymous shrub under the living room window. The bed is approximately 15ft long and the window is approximately 4 ft from the ground. I would like to cut the shrub down and replace it with something else. Preferably with spring colour and fragrance. Suggestions?

This picture is a bit old but I have fully planted the other bed (under the 2 windows) with a dwarf lilac, a burning bush, and some springs and perennials (echinea, peony, rugosa rose).
Attachments
frontofhouse.jpg
tulips76

Re: Front bed idea

Postby orchidguy » Jan 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Tulips,
your euonymous is a lovely specimen plant, and is a great backdrop to other flowering shrubs, perennials, bulbs or annuals. I think it only needs a trim to kind of rein in it's growth a bit.
Are you looking for year round colour, or just spring colour and fragrance?
If year round is what you want, you might try a few roses in the background, iris, phlox or more peonies in the center and maybe some thyme or lavender in the front. All spaces can be filled in with spring bulbs and colourful annuals
orchidguy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas