Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Greenhouse Organization

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Greenhouse Organization

Postby brownie-nl » Apr 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so please take it easy on me!

I've just built a new greenhouse (10x16) with full 8' walls. I now need to organize planter boxes and shelves etc. such that I can maximize the space. I'm looking for greenhouse organization concepts or tips I can use when trying to design an efficient use of this space. If anyone has pictures of their greenhouse inside I love to see them. Since my building has such high space inside I'd like to make sure I take full advantage and perhaps have plants like (maybe) tomatoes grow from hanging baskets and flow down. I plan to grow: lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, beans, onions, etc.

Any help would be great, BTW: I live in Torbay Newfoundland!
brownie-nl

Re: Greenhouse Organization

Postby davefrombc » Apr 12, 2012 1:36 pm

I hope the long side of your greenhouse faces south. That will allow maximum exposure to the sun for your plants I can't suggest any specific layout for it , but maybe just suggest the obvious . You can grow indeterminate tomatoes and cucumbers on support strings or lattices on the north wall where they can grow tall and make maximum use of the height available. In front of them , grow successively lower growing plants like the different varieties of peppers , egg plant and other warm climate vegetables. Some of the hotter pepper varieties can grow quite tall, while the bell pepper ones are relatively shorter. I would plant onions , lettuce , spinach and other crops that like cooler weather in raised beds outside the greenhouse, although you could make late season plantings of them to extend the season well into the fall after the tomatoes and other heat loving plants are done for the year .
If you plan on using growing benches, I suggest building them on the north wall so plants there will be above others you have growing at ground level so all plants will be exposed to the maximum available light .
Make a sketch of your greenhouse, a list of what you want to grow, and decide if you want growing benches. Then check growing heights of the plants and plan out the layout that will maximize the light and growing are for your crop.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas