Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Suggestions for Fragrant Flowers

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Suggestions for Fragrant Flowers

Postby global8936 » Apr 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Hello Everyone, I live in Mississauga, ON. I am looking to have some scent around my garden this summer. I want some ideas as to what I should grow. I want something fast growing and something that lasts ideally the whole summer and preferably a perennial so I don't have to plant each year. Now I do have a range of environments around my house. Places of drought and wet, shady and full sun. So based on all this and my location, whats an ideal fragrant flower for my house?
Thanks
global8936

Re: Suggestions for Fragrant Flowers

Postby styric » Apr 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Roses!
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby Grannygardener » Apr 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Lavender, heliotrope,evening stocks to name a few.
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Fragrant perennials that bloom all summer...tough one. I agree that roses would be a great idea for your sunny spots, but you should know that have a main flush of blooms in June, then bloom sporatically till frost. Some daylilies are repeat bloomers and fragrant, but they will take a few years to establish unless you are fortunate enough to have someone share a healthy sized division with you...and they tolerate a variety of conditions. Have you considered a Honeysuckle vine...most are fragrant, fairly quick to establish, long blooming, and they grow well in part-shade conditions.

Here are a few other long bloomers, but not known for their fragrance: Scabiosa(sun) Yarrow (sun), Campanula(sun or part sun), Annabelle Hydrangeas (morning sun only is best), Spiderwort (careful as some are quite aggressive), Fernleaf Bleeding Hearts (part sun), some Coral Bells (good for shadier spots), Coneflowers (sun, on the drier side)

Here are some wonderfully fragrant plants, but not very long-blooming: Oriental Lilies, Orienpet Lilies, Phlox, Peonies (slower to establish, but well worth the wait IMHO...if you plan well & add a few varieties you can have blooms from beginning of May till beginning of July), Hyacinith bulbs for mid-late spring.

Hope this helps.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Lulu » Apr 22, 2012 7:37 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

That's a tall bill to fit, to have a perennial bloom all summer AND have scent, AND fit the different environments around your yard. It's going to take multiple plants, both perennials and annuals to accomplish that.

Agree with everyone's ideas, some of which are my favorites,,and will add sweet pea.
Brugmansia, are sun lovers, and do not bloom all summer,,, but smell divine!

As many of the scented ones are annuals, and most need a fair bit of sun,, maybe a few strategically placed pots/planters can accomplish your goal. (near your doors, on your patio/deck, under a tree, or along a path)

Good luck and keep us posted!
Lulu

Postby Countryboy » Apr 22, 2012 9:00 am

I get early scent from Hyacinth, and some Crocus . . then from my large wild patch of Dame's Rocket. Abt the time that's fading along come my big patches of Lily of the Valley. Oriental Lilys and Peony pop out shortly after that. Late Summer fragrance comes from Phlox.

I'm thinkin' of trying Roses soon but 'til then I make do with Perennials that bloom in sequence thru the Summer.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby styric » Apr 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Purple heliotrope smells like vanilla. I've been trying to find two for a pot by my window for ages so I can smell that glorious scent when I have my doors open to air the house out
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas