Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Cold Frame

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Cold Frame

Postby Eeyore » Apr 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Soooo, looks like the Composter I wanted for Mothers Day is out. Have any of you bought this cold frame and if so, what is your opinion?

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... RRWidgetID
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Cold Frame

Postby Lulu » Apr 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Lyn, the reviews sound good.

I checked one out at Princess Auto a few months ago; it was about 2' x 3' for $49.00. I just checked their website, and could not find it. I did not buy it, because the plastic just seemed too flimsy, but, in reading Costco's response to that same statement, they say the plastic material is stronger than glass, and is guaranteed for 5 years. My other concern is that it gets very windy here, and I could imagine it blowing away, regardless if it had stakes holding it down. Their response to that (last) question gives the preparation details, which I hadn't thought of. Now kicking myself I didn't get it!

I say go for it!
Lulu

Postby Eeyore » Apr 21, 2012 10:36 pm

I thought so too Lulu. We would be setting it down on our patio on bricks so heat would be good. Being low to the ground and protected wind shouldn't be an issue but I'm not sure. I'm thinking it looks like a good deal.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby OGrubber » Apr 22, 2012 9:00 am

It's a nice looking unit Lyn.
Is there a way to lock the lids down during a wind "event"?
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Dumbo » Apr 22, 2012 10:31 am

Eeyore wrote:looks like the Composter I wanted for Mothers Day is out.

I'd hate to think of the smack up-side the head I would get if I gave my mother a composter for Mothers day.

Eeyore wrote:what is your opinion?

Well I never seen it or tried it. I only looked at the dimensions.

21-inches high. Seems short. That good enough for you?

Also is it 21-inches high at the highest point? Looks like it from the picture.

This is one of the lowest cost ones I have seen though.

EDIT:
Also, it appears to me that these are outside dimensions and not inside dimensions. So it would be less than 21 inside.

Maybe 18.

EDIT 2:
What appears to be the exact same thing is going for 119.00$ at home depot (don't they have a price guarantee + 10%?)
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/deluxe- ... use/905718

There is also another model at homedepot going for 69.99$
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/deluxe- ... eet/916104

EDIT 3:
Yes they are the exact same model number. So if you are the type of person who likes to save a buck and demand things per store policy, you should be able to contact homedepot and get it 10$ cheaper than Costco due to their price guarantee.

Both models are: Model: 700872
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Apr 22, 2012 11:22 am

It would really help your decision if you could see one set up on display. The unit looks good and would be fine for low growing things like leaf lettuce and spinach .. It might be on the low side for taller things like swiss chard .. But material to build a taller wood and glass one would be considerably cheaper than the store bought fancy one .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Eeyore » Apr 22, 2012 11:24 am

That's a good question Inge. Bungy cords might do the trick if not.

Marc, I actually ASKED for the composter for Mother's Day. 21" should be high enough but I do have another unit I can move plants to if they get too big.

Yes, that would be ideal Dave but you do have a point.... maybe I can hit hubby up to do some building for me. He always has to have a project on his hands.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby styric » Apr 22, 2012 3:42 pm

I like that one, but I'm not sure about the height. For that price you could make a really good one. The one I just built cost a grand total of $20, including the reflective insulation I put inside to compensate for a slight bit of trees blocking out the most southern sun.

Also, from what I've been reading, the lower angle ones are apparently better for heat conservation (mine isn't, but again I'm trying to get light more than heat).

In any case, a cold frame is a fabulous mother's day gift :D
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby Northpine » Apr 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Lyn, I have a cold frame I bought many years ago. It is a short plastic tent that fits over a frame of pvc pipes. I use it to transition my plants to the outdoors. I think it is much taller than what you've shown.
It has pros and cons.
On the pro side, it is easy to set up and to dismantle and has lasted years. It has tent pegs to anchor down and wind has never been a problem. Both sides open up and it has ventilation flaps at both ends.
But on the negative side, I find it difficult to access the plants to water and to move them around. I have to crawl around and reach in and one time actually fell forward into it. It is quite large and takes up space in the yard and I'm always happy when I can put it away. I would much rather prefer a greenhouse I can work in.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Eeyore » Apr 23, 2012 12:19 am

A greenhouse would be great but I have absolutely no room for one. Even convincing hubby that a cold frame wouldn't take up too much room is proving to be a chore! :lol: I would use it to start seeds early and transition stuff to outdoors. I suppose it could then be leaned up against the fence until the next season.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas