Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Have Ideas for my Front Garden?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Have Ideas for my Front Garden?

Postby kelly_m » May 04, 2012 5:11 pm

LOL! Jenn! Eby is probably the most recognizable because I think the barber shop on the main street is Eby's!!LOL The eby's are distant relatives...the O'Leary's are my immediate, with the christmanns coming in second! O'Leary being my mom's side, and the Christmann's my Grandmother's. Not a hundred percent sure where the Eby's come in....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby HeelsDown » May 07, 2012 11:31 am

Well, I'm not sure if that weekend was fruitful or fruitless or a bit of both!

We ended up going to a few garden centres around the city and all the shrubs that were mentioned ended up being really nice! Looked at Alberta Spruce, Hicks Yew, Hills Yew, Golden Cedar, Mint Julep Juniper, Summer Wine Ninebark, and a few other yellow tinged shrubs and such. I think we've narrowed it down to something yellow flanked by something red.

I really, really loved a Japanese Yew I saw at one store. The colour was more yellow than a Hick's and it was a perfect size. I noticed that at other stores though, the Japanese Yew's were more green so not sure what was up with the first one. Overall, my absolute favourite had to be the Golden Mop Cypress. Beauty! Maybe pair that with a Summer Wine Ninebark on each side? Sort of what we are thinking.

The only 100% decision we did make was to wait to plant anything until we have our tree's pruned. That way, we will be able to see how the area lightens up and what is more practical. Hopefully enough for the Golden Mop b/c it would be a shame for it to lose it's glowing colour.

Oooo...and I know what I'm going to get for a side garden later (I'll probably ask for advice on that side too eventually lol)...soooo pretty....a Weeping Lavender Twist Redbud. I saw one in a magazine, but finding the weeping version might be challenging or special order.

Will continue to keep you posted. Thanks again all!!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Mostly Weeds » May 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Great thread here, welcome to the forums Jenn (I'm really new here too)!

LOVE the house, and as soon as I looked at the gallery I had the exact same thought as Kelly lol. That soft yellow brick and architecture is unmistakeable as a rural SW Ontario century farmhouse for sure. I was thinking Guelph/K-W no doubt =)

Yours is the kind of place I've been dreaming about for the past few years hehe, as soon as I'm done school we're definitely going to be looking hard for one on about 3-4 acres of scenic property out that way. I'm about ready to pack it in on Hamilton city living. That's livin!
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby HeelsDown » May 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks Mostly Weeds - for both the welcome and the nice comments. Until we bought our house, I wasn't aware that it's possible to recognize where a house is by how it's built! I would love to learn more about that.

We looked for a long time and once we realized we wanted a centry home with brick or stone, it got even more complicated. Not a lot of inventory and what was on the market either was way over our price range or needed $100,000K of work. Then, we lucked out and found this one. The previous owners (two owners ago) had drawn up plans to add a second story and attached garage. Blew a sigh of relief that they didn't get to it, b/c it definitely would not have been in our price range then either.

I'm not sure what the rules are to this forum, but I could show you all the reno's we've done inside to the addition as well as the inside of the house if anyone is interested.

:D
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Dumbo » May 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Go for it. I'd like to see the reno's.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » May 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi Jenn:

Good to see that you're already starting to narrow your choices down. There are so many out there - how does one choose? Personal choice, and a good eye for aesthetics.

This is a pretty informal forum and we talk about all kinds of things - some serious, some not so serious.

Our bandwidth, (or how much CG allows us), is not much, so we try to keep our pic posting to 3 - 5, or thereabouts. (Of course you can provide a link to a Web site that stores your pictures).

Some of us, (Inge for example), is still on dial-up so it's almost impossible for her to look at more than one or two pictures at a time.

Would love to see some of the renos on the house. Probably best to post them in 'Over the Garden Fence' where we talk about everything non-gardening.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby HeelsDown » May 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks BBQ! There really are so many choices and it's interesting (and slightly maddening lol) how we've gone from a house that had no landscape and completely full sun to one that had been started, but needed TLC and has much more shade. I still pine for my purple sandcherry...oh well I shall find new plants to love!

I shall post links to my renovations and the house itself as suggested in Over the Garden Fence...I will title it "Pics of the Homestead" so you can all find it.

You'll see the gardens too - all pics of the house and outside were taken two months after buying it so a lot of clean up had happened by then. Now it making it better and moving stuff where it should be, etc.

Hope you all enjoy!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas