Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

what paint to use on fence

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: what paint to use on fence

Postby Countryboy » May 11, 2012 10:30 am

Well...

Yes to the latex. Most contractors are extremely reluctant to go with 'new' products. We're scared to death to try something new that doesn't work . . . 'coz then it's OUR responsibility. The fact is that the newer, latex paint/stains are much easier to work with, less aggressive to yr lungs, and now have been formulated to last better than oil.

This does not apply to oil based stains, they're great to work with. 'Til u have to do the fence again...

Yes to the pressure washer. The quickest, easiest way to remove the loose stuff. And even some of the less loose stuff. A small, electric one will do. Surely one of yr friends or neighbours has one u can borrow.

And to the belt sander??? Absolutely not! VBG lol

Unless u are an expert with one. I am... and even I wouldn't tackle anything that wasn't a perfectly flat, horizontal surface! Dangerous machines, those. And heavy, and tiring, and awkward.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Dumbo » May 11, 2012 12:52 pm

You are bang on Frank.

I've done these things a few times (not to mention I was head chemist for a a chemical coating company, mostly military applications though, but I picked up a lot on wood along the way).

The advice she got about oil from home-hardware (or whatever it was) was very bad.

A sander doesn't work well on a fence to begin with since this isn't a perfectly flat surface, as you stated. Some boards will be concave or convex. Not to mention the mess this will make if it doesn't have a shop-vac attachment. Plus is sucks doing hard work wearing a mask (unless lung cancer is being sought).

A sander would be good for A) a deck floor B) a flat horizontal railing C) beams. Even then a rotary sander is best to bring out the wood grain since you don't want the wood smooth and even for coating.

As Frank stated, the past 3 years have seen many formulation changes due to the new reg's. Behr's latex (whose oil was rated #1) has got to be the worse I have seen to date. Not only that, but they came out with a hybrid latex-oil formulation then got rid of it a year later after they told everyone it can go on either oil or latex. Then changed their mind that it would be good to put latex on this a few years down the road.

They were caught with their pants down with the new reg's and didn't even answer question about this properly.

CIL, Sico and some others had these products on the shelves before the reg change and even though they were good to begin with, they have gotten better over the past few years. Great stuff to work with.

As stated, a pressure washer would be your best bet, frank said why above.

Northpine said the following (as I understood it):

1. Wants low cost
2. Easy work
3. Just make it look good
4. Don't want it "all" peeling in a year
5. Street appeal

Oil stain on top of latex, the advice you got, is the worse possible thing you can do. Not only would it look like crap, it won't work as stain is supposed to work.

Stain, to try and put this an easy way, is all about penetrating the wood. Paint is about depositing pigments on top of the wood. Very different chemistry involved here. Not only that, but without properly conditioning the wood to be receptive to stain it will be a half-assed job anyhow.

Since you already have paint which is not going to be 100% removed, I would stay paint (don't mix incompatible chemical coatings).

Ideally, to make this look somewhat decent from the street, I would use a primer before painting the fence, or the old paint may show through. Also paint Adhesion will be better and should prevent a lot of peeling in a year or two. I think CIL has a product out that is both a primer and paint with high hiding power. You will have to check if this is at your store.

The above is the easiest and lowest cost way.

A better way would be to buy what they call a latex stripper (it's sodium hydroxide). It will melt the old paint right off, eat at loose organic fibres (loose wood) and then turn your wood completely black. You take a shop broom or similar to the fence to and start rubbing. It takes some elbow grease. Then hose it all off. Keep a hose/sprinkler on for a few hours to dilute the caustic and chemicals that came off the fence.

The concern here is whether or not you have a veggie garden along the fence. If not, I would do this.

Then you take a "brightener" and apply it to the now black fence. This is oxalic acid (it bio-degrades) The fence will then turn a bright, better than brand new wood colour. The pores of the wood will open up and be very receptive to whatever you want to then put on it. I would then go with a semi-transparent latex stain, personally. You won't get peeling at all, ever.

This will add elbow grease + about 80 to 120$ depending on the size of the fence.

I've done this a few times. Works very well and is fast. But takes elbow grease.

Anyhow there are enough words here for a mini-book... I'll stop here. She has to decide what she wants to do before even painting or staining.

Kelly, since you also got bad advice, my advice to you would be to go to the store as soon as possible (because fence season is on and you have to beat others to the purchase for whats left) and buy a couple gallons of that oil stain in order to redo your balcony in a couple of years. At least this way you are covered for the next 5-8 years and you can worry about it later. You aren't going to find your oil stain after fall or maybe even this spring. So get yourself a little mini-stock to re-stain, if possible.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » May 11, 2012 1:25 pm

in 5 to 8 years I'll probably have to replace the columns anyway. the railing has to be done this year....and it's the porch....the balcony just seems to go off into thin air..... :shock:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 05, 2012 10:30 pm

You've probably painted your fence but for others, I thought I would weigh in on this subject. Our fence is quite old and in need of some protection. I scraped it and used a wire brush - then I painted it using Rona solid stain. It's an Acrylic Oil hybrid, and I'm really happy with it. I have used it on other projects and no complaints. I'm pretty sure that you don't have to worry if the previous product was oil or acrylic / latex. I have put it over oil paint and no peeling.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Blossom » Oct 27, 2012 9:32 am

You are right on Ruby. . . I used Acrylic paint on the garage, the arbor. . . it doesn't flake off or fade. Very tough.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas