Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

I don't like my shape!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

I don't like my shape!

Postby JDuley » Jun 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Hello
Looking for some advice for the garden on the left side. The shape looks awkward with the walkway and I dont know what to do. It gets full sun and I prefer hardy perennials. I'm a beginner! Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much
Attachments
IMG_3618.JPG
IMG_3618.JPG (66.5 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
IMG_3617.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG (62.49 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
JDuley

Re: I don't like my shape!

Postby B_BQ » Jun 05, 2012 8:21 pm

I don't find the shape too bad. Maybe you could make the outer curve match the curve of the pathway.
My opinion only, but I would like to see something taller towards the house; maybe a Pee Gee Hydrangea, Burning Bush, Weigela, Japanese Maple - something to draw the eye to the height of the house but nothing so dense that it covers up the window.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby awright » Jun 05, 2012 9:41 pm

I don't find a problem with the shape as much as the lack of colour. I would like to see a burgundy wegeila, Stella d'oro daylilly, autumn joy serum, and even a peony.
awright

Postby JDuley » Jun 06, 2012 9:16 am

You're right it looks very boring, maybe colour will do the trick. Thanks!
JDuley

Postby davefrombc » Jun 06, 2012 10:52 am

A nice red leafed Japanese maple would help set it off.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Laura » Jun 06, 2012 10:53 am

Love your brick home .... yes color would be good and I think your planter next to the entry needs to be a bit larger also.
Laura

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jun 06, 2012 9:08 pm

I agree with the others, your garden lacks color! It's easy to add color, so many beautiful perennials.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby conniepr » Jun 08, 2012 8:31 am

I think your space has great potential. Beautiful house, beautiful walkway.

I noted that you have dark green/purple leafed things on the right and all light green (washed out) colors on the left. the dark green and slightly purple leafed things look great with the color of the house. Bring in more of that on the left.

Also, on the left looks overgrown and cramped. Can the existing bushes be cropped to look more tailored? Or take out some and clean up the others? Are any of them flowering at different times of the year? If not, find plants that flower at different times of the year and make sure you have a variety in there.

I would also be tempted to expand the bed further to the left and add a small ornamental tree or two, like the red maple suggested (but a dwarf type maybe?).

Have fun!
conniepr

Postby JDuley » Jun 09, 2012 8:03 am

I didnt think about how the balance of colour is off from side to side. Thanks for the great suggestions. I've always loved japanese maples so will happily get one of those!
JDuley

Postby JDuley » Jun 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Since I'm rearranging the garden, any ideas on how I can add a small porch or platform for some seating that wouldn't look weird next to the concrete walkway? I would love to have a spot to sit and have a glass of wine with my neighbour.
JDuley

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas