Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

what to plant on a large steep embankment

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

what to plant on a large steep embankment

Postby firefly13 » Jul 04, 2012 8:25 am

Good Day! I have a tall rock wall with a steep embankment above it, around 1,200 square feet in direct sun light. I’m looking to plant something not too expensive that doesn’t require any maintenance and retains the newly put soil and was looking for some suggestions. I need to do something quickly because the darn weeds are already coming through it. : ) Thanks! Kindest Regards, Andréa
firefly13

Re: what to plant on a large steep embankment

Postby Laura » Jul 04, 2012 8:52 am

Could it be planted with a wildflower mix for your zone ?

That way it would not really need much attention once established.
Laura

Postby B_BQ » Jul 04, 2012 9:30 am

A ground cover that works well, and spreads not too badly, is Pachysandra. It grows to about 6 - 8" high, with thick glossy dark green leaves. It produces a creamy white flower.
There is Woolly Thyme too. Once it gets established it goes gangbusters. I planted one small plant about 6 years ago in a pocket of rock, and it is now growing over the rock. It's about 2' x 2' now. Nice! Pretty lavendar flowers too!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Countryboy » Jul 04, 2012 9:36 am

Some no-maintenance plants are Ditch/Day lilys, Comfrey *attracts butterflys*, Goutweed *the variegated variety will add colour*, Periwinkle *may not be good for full sun*, Crown Vetch, and maybe Ferns . . . to name a few.

All of these will spread and choke out the weeds eventually. It may take some time, but should require no effort from u.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Marion » Jul 26, 2012 3:16 pm

There are so many ways to picture this situation... without a pic, we have to use our imagination. I love whooly thyme and have had great results with it in certain areas. How steep is the area above? I have coreopsis (zagreb) in an area and it creates such a strong root mass that it may have great erosion prevention potential. I have goutweed in an area behind my house and I'm still figuring out how to get rid of it. I know that some may say "to each his own" but I'd think long and hard before bringing this weed to my property.
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world...Albert Einstein
Marion

Postby Jersm » Aug 01, 2012 8:28 pm

I can just picture it now...

1200 square feet of bright yellow dandelion's!!! :mrgreen:

They are quite tasty acutally i enjoy eating the flowers and the greens once you boil the bitterness off, full of vitamines and calcium.
Jersm

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas