Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Poison Ivy!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Poison Ivy!

Postby Lissu » Jul 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I am finally able to start planning some landscaping around our home. We purchased an unfinished house several years ago, and due to the costs of finishing we haven't been able to do anything outside yet, except for the front lawn. The back "lawn" is weeds. Our property is in a lovely area outside of Ottawa, with forests behind us and lots of trees on both sides of our property. Problem: while I've been waiting to be able to start landscaping, the poison ivy has taken over! (only the creeping variety, not the kind that climbs trees) Except for the front lawn, where it couldn't get started because we mow regularly, it is everywhere.
I am committed to organic gardening -- no Round Up -- so I am planning to eradicate by covering the poison ivy, mulching heavily and thus smothering it. (It may take some years to get all parts of our large lot done.) I plan to make raised beds for flowers, but I want to prevent the poison ivy from returning and taking over.
Planning to crowd it out, I started researching possibilities -- and every site has a different answer. Some say vinca is good to crowd it out, others say poison ivy loves to hide under the vinca & it just makes it impossible to eradicate. Some say vetch is good, others say no. Some say crowding out is the only way to prevent (or at least inhibit) reinfestation, and others say that poison ivy loves company and it never works.
Help! Many of the sites were American, so I thought perhaps climate might be the critical issue. Any help available from fellow Canucks? Thanks!
Lissu

Re: Poison Ivy!

Postby Eeyore » Jul 12, 2012 3:23 pm

I would suggest covering the whole area with black poly and leaving it for a year and then remove the cover and see if any more pops up. If so, cover it again and leave for another few months and check again. It may be the only way to effectively eradicate it and make sure it is gone.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby davefrombc » Jul 12, 2012 3:51 pm

Is it fenced, or can you easily fence it ?..One way to eradicate the poison ivy and any other shrubs and weeds you don't want there is to run some goats or sheep in there.
They would need a small shelter and water trough, and maybe a little supplemental feed, but if there happens to be a goat or sheep farmer nearby , he may be happy to run some on your property for you.
If you want the land cleared and plowed, with all the roots removed, nothing beats pigs. They are a favourite for many wanting to raise their own pork and clear a garden space at the same time.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby B_BQ » Jul 12, 2012 4:30 pm

I can tell you quite categorically that poison ivy is NOT smothered out by vinca, pachysandra, or any other ground cover. It thrives. I know this from personal experience.

About 8 years ago we were weeding a patch of unknown ivy growing amongst our vinca. My husband, in shorts and t-shirt started hauling this 'ivy' out by the armful. (Neither of us had ever seen poison ivy before). About an hour later he was in serious trouble. He had blisters, redness, itching, etc. We realized far too late that it was having a very severe reaction to poison ivy. He was able to access is GP immediately and because he had had such a terrible reaction he was started on large doses of Prednisone. He went through a very difficult time. One of the very rare side effects of Prednisone is that it can destroy joints. A year after taking the Prednisone my husband had to have a new hip because his hip joint was destroyed. Fortunately just the one hip was affected.

Despite the fact that I have many sensitivies and allergies I didn't get the same reaction as my husband.

I personally went out with Round-Up, spray and brush, and painted and/or sprayed every single remaining leaf. It took me about two weeks. We left that house in the November, and I have no idea whether it came back.

I too like to be as organic as possible, but I wouldn't hesitate to use anything I could get my hands on if I came across poison ivy again. I can be nasty and lethal.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Boy that's a hard question. I have a patch behind the barn and we are scratching our heads how to get rid of it. I'm not sure Round Up will even kill it, even the industrial strength used in farming. Have you got an agrologist in your area that may be of help?
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby B_BQ » Jul 16, 2012 7:49 pm

And, of course, remember that even if you wear protective clothing and manage to dig it up, pull it up, etc., you cannot burn it! The poison oils would be released into the air and who knows who would be nearby who might get an adverse reaction. It has to be bagged.
You may not get a reaction to it, but I certainly wouldn't take the chance based on the experience we've had.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas