Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Starting With The Landscaping

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Starting With The Landscaping

Postby Latz » Jul 31, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi All

Forgive my ignorance as I'm new to all this.

The house is in Chestermere, AB, it's about a year and a half old so it's had some time to settle. The soil type is quite heavy clay and the builders have spread a layer of pretty terrible top soil all over which is full of weeds and stuff.

My question is this - before I lay sod down, should I scrape a few inches of the builders top soil and replace it with some better quality stuff or will the sod take perfectly well?

Also, to stop the weeds coming through, should I put a layer of landscaping fabric under the new top soil?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Latz

2012-07-31 11.25.51.jpg
Latz

Re: Starting With The Landscaping

Postby B_BQ » Jul 31, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi:

I would say YES to putting down another layer of good topsoil before seeding or laying down sod. Healthy grass will crowd out the weeds!

I would say NO to putting down landscaping cloth before seeding or sodding.

It's going to take a bit of work, but try to get some of the weeds out, put down a nice 2" layer of good topsoil, and then either seed or sod.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Latz » Aug 02, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks very much for the excellent reply :D I'll get working on it!

Latz
Latz

Postby interfaqiez » Aug 31, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi.. i just read the discuss today, maybe late but just wanna give little suggest, first i agree with BBQ.. that's no put down the landscaping...
and the second just giving addition that the topsoil must good and according to the type of soil..
BBQ you are great...
interfaqiez

Postby Heidi S » Aug 31, 2012 6:50 pm

NO! to Landscape fabric under your lawn! Expensive and not necessary at all. And ultimately the weeds do still come up. Landscape fabric is over used and incorrectly used in most applications by gardeners.

I might suggest, if the weeds are considerable and hard to pull, you may want to put down a spray of Roundup or Killex to knock down them down. I don't usually use herbicides myself, but when trying to transform a larger area, hand weeding can be overwhelming quickly. In addition, be prepared for the fact that weeds that have been there all summer, will probably already have matured and reseeded, so you will have to be vigilent next spring for weeds coming through.

Now is the ideal time to get a new lawn going, either sod or seed, as the growing conditions are optimum for grass in early fall. The addition of a topper layer of good soil will be very helpful for your outcome too. Don't over fertilize though - the grass will need to root and then get ready to go dormant for winter, and fertilizing in the fall can inhibit this natural process unless you use the right formula product.

Edited to add: if your subsoil is clay, do some research about growing grass on a clay base. Clay acts as a barrier to water drainage and plants, including grass can be drowned. There is lots of info out there on this topic, just check it out.

Good luck!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby PaulineG » May 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Your first consideration when starting a new landscaping project is style. The style of your landscape should match the style of your house, but it's also a reflection on your personality.
PaulineG

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas