Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Can I plant creeping phlox and dwarf asters?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Can I plant creeping phlox and dwarf asters?

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi all!

Starting to plan what I want to do for next spring with our gardens and on one side of our house, we have a walkway and the plants in that section are mostly green - hosta's, euronymous, and junipers. I'd really like to dress it up and put in some colour. My first thoughts are to put in a border along the walkway.

Going through the Spring Garden catalogue, I had a thought of planting one creeping phox, then one dwarf aster, one creeping phlox, one aster and so on all the way up. The phlox would bloom in spring and the aster afterwards so I'd have colour all year. I'd plant according to the space indicated for them of course and not cram it all in lol!

Is this something I could do or do these plants do crazy things I'm not aware of from the write up lol!

The walkway can be seen in picture 16 here for reference:

https://picasaweb.google.com/schmenn/Pi ... directlink

Thanks!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Re: Can I plant creeping phlox and dwarf asters?

Postby Heidi S » Aug 25, 2012 1:49 am

Creeping phlox:

Preferred Conditions: Plant creeping phlox in full sun to part shade and a well-draining location. The profuse flowers appear for two or three weeks in early to mid spring.

Dwarf Aster:

Preferred Conditions: Full sun to part shade. Blooming season: Late summer to frost. Soil Requirements: Moist, well-drained soil. Wet winter soils are more damaging than the cold weather.

From my quick review these plants should be compatible in the same garden space,but the time between the phlox blooming in early spring (2-3 weeks max), and the late summer/fall bloom time of the Aster, you have a lot of no flower time. I would look for one or two other flowering perennials that match the growing conditions and flower in late spring and during the early/mid summer to gain colour throughout the growing season. There could be no blooms from May to August in your current plan.

It appears to me from your picture that this garden space is at best part shade exposure, so you will need to be aware that plants that like full sun will tolerate partial shade do not bloom as prolifically as they will in more sun. Focus your flowering perennial choices on the sun exposure and soil conditions to enhance your success. I note you have very healthy hostas - shade-loving plants!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby hotsummerone » Aug 25, 2012 2:07 am

Planning quite good.
hotsummerone

Postby HeelsDown » Sep 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks Heidi! I'm glad you pointed out the gap in flowering time! I'll have to check out what I can put in between. And, you are right...part shade at best. It's better now with the Spruce's pruned back so sun does hit the front. Not sure how long though and it's not direct. The sun goes over our house - side to side - so that area would get afternoon/evening Western setting sun. It differs slightly through the seasons, but that's the jist of it. I'd say it's well drained...maybe too well drained b/c it can dry out on that side easily since it's rounded. We put in new soil and peat moss this year, and next spring have plans to mulch so that should help.

Any suggestions on another plant?

Yeah, I got hosta's lol! I had no idea what they were until I moved here and now I definitely know what they are. One of the few plants that can take shade AND black walnuts ... all 73 of 'em!

Thanks again!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Heidi S » Sep 05, 2012 11:48 am

Jenn, what Zone and area do you live in? I can make some perennial suggestions, but it helps to know what the winters are like, since that is a major consideration.

Unfortunately, I am currently in Vancouver dealing with my elderly and frail Dad's health issues, so I don't have my resource and reference books available to me, but there are a lot of online resources you can search. I will have a look at some of my favourite sites and see what I can find for you.

A list of plants I grow around my hostas include:
Astible
Heuchera
Tiarella
Ferns - I am partial to Adiantum ferns in particular and they can take some sun too.

Others to consider (should be good in Zone 5):
Columbine (Aquiligea)
Goatsbeard (Aruncus)
Wind Flower (Anemone)
Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla mollis)
Monkshood (Aconitum)
Masterwort (Astrantia)
Baptisia
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis)
Bellflowers (Campanula)

From your description of your location, I would have to say you are shade to part shade. Early morning and late afternoon sun only with shade through the middle of the day is part shade. Dappled shade is when you have sunlight penetrating a tree canopy and diffusing the sun, but the area is quite bright still.

And don't forget, you can always plant some luscious annuals like impatiens to get the flower power colours as the jewelry to your garden wardrobe. Your shrubs and perennials are the basics in the garden, but don't flower for long periods as I mentioned before, so a shot of colour from well-placed annuals is always welcome at the front of your border for summer long enjoyment.

After you have looked up these plants to get an idea of their size, colour and texture, take the list of those you would consider to your nursery now and shop the clearance sales. The plants will be easily transplanted in September, and are a bargain if still in healthy condition. Just be aware that sometimes the labels are missing or mixed up after a summer of browsing and you 'take's your chances' for a good deal.

HAVE FUN!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby HeelsDown » Sep 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for all the great info! I'm in Zone 5b - just outside Kitchener/Waterloo, ON. I've always wondered what part shade meant - so I appreciate the clarification. Definitely no to the dappled shade as it's not bright. Brighter than it was with the tree's pruned, but not the true meaning of bright lol!

I'll take a look at your suggestions and see if I can plan something out & no rush on your helpful sounding books - we have time since I likely won't purchase until spring. We just put ourselves on a budget until then so we can do the rest of the yard and a new deck next year!

Annuals are smart - I did that on the one side of my yard with some Zinnia's and Snapdragons and they are really the only thing flowering on that side right now. My balloon plant flowered a bit and my phlox is done - it didn't have a good year with the heat and the mildew. Sedum on that side too that seems to take forever to go rusty coloured. Much more sun on that side of the house.

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. Hugs and jingles (as we say in the hunter/jumper world) going out to you.

Jenn
HeelsDown

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas