Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Look what we built this weekend!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Look what we built this weekend!

Postby Dumbo » Sep 18, 2012 5:32 pm

en.raisinpourvinlm.com/grape-selection.html

And of course a couple of table ones for the kids to pick.

Have family that grow these things. None of these horror movie bugs stated here that will make your kids wet their pants and not want to sit near your new thing.
*head-slap*
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Sep 19, 2012 12:21 pm

That looks wonderful CC!
.... a couple of things to consider before you follow Marc's urgings to plant the whole length to grapes.... birdies just love berries and grapes, especially the starlings who will fly and bomb as they go. So, netting might be required. And as Joy mentioned, it will also be a huge attraction for your neighbourhood racoons who may move into the rest of your plantings/yard after the grapes are done. Just saying.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby orchidguy » Sep 19, 2012 1:30 pm

What a great rustic arbour CC.

The hardy Dutchman's Pipes (Aristolochia sp?? ) flowers are much smaller and more hidden than their tropical counterparts. Like Brenda, I am not overwhelmed by the species I grow outdoors here (A. baetira, durior, manshuriensis), but love the ones in the greenhouse.
The DP's are late to leaf out here, and are very sensitive to cold snaps early in the season.
The leaves are beautiful and large, but the flowers are small, usually hidden and I believe the whole plant is quite poisonous.

What about interplanting clematis, rose, and campsis ? Just a thought
orchidguy

Postby countrychic » Sep 19, 2012 2:48 pm

The grapes are already on the fence, they were there when we moved in here 3 yrs ago. So I might just train them up and over. I think they are Concord. I have three plants. The fruit is small, dark purple, seeds and can be on the sour side, although this year they are sweet and fruity. No raccoon problems yet, and we get a big enough harvest just from the few branches we have on the fence to make a few jars of jelly.
The past winter the grapes have just spoiled in the vines as we didn't eat them, the birds are not going crazy for them.

The only problem is the vines have grown through the fence to the neighbours side and is hard to train as it is all old hard wood an inch thick. Also the pergola poles are at least 2 feet away from the fence. The new tendrils didn't grow long enough to reach the pergola this summer.

I can take the Dutchmens Pipe out. I got them as seedlings, so have 5 of them along the pergola. Maybe I should just keep one in. I didn't realise what I was seeing on google was the tropical kind. So if it is mostly leaves and the odd pipe, one plant would be enough for interest.
countrychic

Postby Dumbo » Sep 20, 2012 12:00 am

WARNING:
This post may contain content that is NSFW. This post may also contain links. A link is reference to data that a reader can directly CHOOSE to follow, or CHOOSE not to follow. The choice is the readers, no one elses. Links may lead to, or contain, external scarey things like viruses, spyware, trojans, and pictures of cartoon dogs that roll in poop and eat their own vomit. This post may also contain references to religion & politics that some people may find offensive. The author of this post takes no responsibility for what an external link may or may not contain, how your brain reacts to it, or if it causes you to get pregnant. Additionally, comments in this post may not be well received by people with issues towards the birds and the bee's. However, therapy does exist for those of you with gender and sex issues. Please seek the help of a qualified medical practitioner, as required. Batteries are not included.

Additionally, MOD's may moderate this post and add comments to my own that are even more ridiculous than this actual warning. Like maybe they may look at an external link and actually say, "hey the coast is clear, no nudity", so you can be safe in your little bubble in case a cartoon dog says the word, "balls" on the internet sensation website, theoatmeal.com.

The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not represent those of any company. That's because they don't have enough $$$ to afford them. In many instances the opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of even the poster because sometimes I just play people to find out how they tick. However, if you like my opinion then these opinions are shareware, send $10.

If after reading this warning you still want to b*tch and nag about what is written below, then kindly take a number, and seek that qualified help mentioned above.

This warning supersedes all previous warnings.

Continue reading at your own risk.....

I see you are coming around and no longer all insulted with the grape thing.

If the grapes you have are sour, get rid of them, or use them as a trap crop (second bet is better). Plant some good ones that you would like.

And yes. My uncles who grow grapes have to net them from the birds, as O'Grubber stated.

Any wine grape variety that grows in Germany, Northern France and most of the colder EU should grow well in Zone 5. Research it a bit as you take a chainsaw to those bushes.

There are some seedless (table) one that I believe I have tried that are very good for the kids to pick at. I think the name was, Reliance seedless.

Also take a look at Sainte-Croix or Frontenac.

Ontario is a very big grape producer. Best Ice wine in Canada comes from Niagara area (in my opinion) and commands 100$ for a small 500-750-ml bottle. I buy this by the case around Xmas to give to people. Best there is.

Grapes can be frozen as is before eating or even before using for wine making. You are half way there. Play and try. Nothing lost except some weeds and ugly bushes ;)

Bonne chance. The end.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Sep 20, 2012 1:11 am

Dumbo wrote:.....I see you are coming around and no longer all insulted with the grape thing....Bonne chance. The end.

Nice rant.

Everyone agrees that a grape abour is picture-skew and the harvest is tasty either fresh or fermented. And I admit, I've paid the equivalent of a mortgage payment for a vintage bottle of the fermented. And my dream in life would be to have some hunka-hunka hand feed me fresh vine picked champagne grapes while I lounge on my lounge in my tunic as, all the while, summer breezes kiss my brow. [insert rolling eyes emoticom]
However... I've also scraped plenty of purple pureed crap off my van windshield and waded through the same on my seement [forgive me Ron!] walkway.
The racoons - well, if you haven't lived it, you won't believe it until it happens to you. They outdo your average vandal.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby agedgardener2 » Sep 20, 2012 9:16 am

Glad to hear that someone agrees with me.Now that our grapes have gone the raccoon has moved on to the lawn which he is tearing up.Miraculously the bird feeders have escapted him.Ihave them on shepherds' Crooks which I keep greased.Joy
agedgardener2

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Very Cute!! Love the rustic look and I also think that grapes would be perfect! I have seedless green grapes growing along our fence and it makes a wonderful privacy screen between us and the neighbour. :mrgreen: Well done!!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Katherine » Sep 22, 2012 11:40 am

Your arbour is gorgeous, and a huge improvement over what was there. I love the rustic feel to it. You have room there for a lot of climbing plants, and it looks like the sun supply is good. You built that whole thing in two weekends? Im very impressed!
Katherine

Postby countrychic » Sep 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Thank you all! Yes, just two weekends, just hubby and me. I tasted the grapes that are on the fence, they taste just like Welches Juice or Grape Fanta!
countrychic

Previous

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas