Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Tulips, Tulips, Tulips

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Tulips, Tulips, Tulips

Postby Lulu » Nov 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Bought a nice mixture of tulip bulbs @ Costco; 90 bulbs, for $23.97, probably in mid September. Forgot about them for quite a while, then, found them just on time, (October 31) to plant in one of my raised beds. Put them in 9 pots of 10 bulbs each, and burried pot and all. Since I have three raised beds, took a chance and went back to Costco,,and,,got the last two bags, now reduced to $4.97! Whew Hew! The flower Gods were with me. So,,planted the other two raised beds in the same manner. Fingers crossed till spring, now! Ought to be a nice show with 270 tulips!
Lulu

Re: Tulips, Tulips, Tulips

Postby lindamct2010 » Nov 20, 2012 10:44 pm

Nice find! Would love to see your raised beds pics next Spring! :-)
lindamct2010

Postby Lulu » Nov 20, 2012 11:34 pm

Can't wait! I love tulips! I used to have lots and lots of tulips,,but the squirrels/chippies/moles/voles, or something has eaten them all, except for a few red ones that I can see out of my kitchen window. Hopefully, because they are in the pots, the rodents will leave them alone this time!
Lulu

Postby lindamct2010 » Nov 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Hey Lulu! Moles and Voles...been there! I just use Chicken Wire now for my wee new landscape to protect only my Jazzberry Jam Tulips and mass planting of Crocus.
lindamct2010

Postby Scrapinthehat » Nov 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Oh Lulu...I'm green with envy. Tulips are such a welcome site in spring (well anything green in spring is welcome, but especially with Tulips) and I meant to plant several....just didn't order any this fall. Well, there is always next fall and hopefully you will share your Tulip pics with us to enjoy next spring.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Lulu » Nov 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks, Scrap,,,for sure will post pics in the spring; hoping they're all "early tulips", but, as usual,,didn't keep the package! In any case, they'll get moved to a holding bed, when it's time for the brugs to go into the raised beds, after May 24 weekend. More work, but, the best of both worlds!
Lulu

Postby orchidguy » Nov 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Can't wait to see pics of them Linda. Word of warning though, the chipmunks still got to some of my bulbs through the chicken wire and they only stopped when I put a layer (about 2") of a coarse gravel on top of the soil above the bulbs.
orchidguy

Postby Lulu » Nov 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Wow,,determined little beggars, aren't they!

Well, gravel is out of the question for my raised beds,,maybe when I move them to the holding bed, it may be a necessity,,,if there's any left!

For now,,will keep a close eye on the raised beds for little footprints!
Lulu

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas