Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Bird Seed Lawn Clean Up Ideas?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Bird Seed Lawn Clean Up Ideas?

Postby Lucy » Mar 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Anyone figured out an easy way to clean up the bird seed that has dropped down from the feeders? I have tried to shovel the snow and discarded seed away but this last huge bunch is frozen in ice still and it is down to the bare grass. Any ideas for easy clean up? Thanks
Lucy

Re: Bird Seed Lawn Clean Up Ideas?

Postby 06Honda » Apr 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Once its thawed out use a shop vac, works wonders. You will need to empty and clean it after but saves alot of time.
http://paul-otoole.artistwebsites.com/

Paul
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5B
06Honda

Postby Lucy » Apr 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Thank you, Paul. What a great idea. I would never have thought of this.
Lucy

Postby HeelsDown » May 06, 2013 4:02 pm

I just did this too! I find a rake is your best friend! lol

To help prevent it again, I put seed saucers under each of my feeders to catch the falling seed so it doesn't even hit the yard. In the winter, I fed black oil sunflowers for the protein, but ensured they were seedless as I read that sunflower seeds are actually toxic to grass. Now, I'm back to safflower seed and nyjer only. Wait 'til the annoying grackles pass over until I put any sunflower back.

Your post made me laugh b/c I shovelled it in the winter too. Put two black garbage bags of snow/seed by our other garbage. My hubby says what is with all our garbage? Oh, um that's snow actually. He looked at me and just rolled his eyes...I did notice it didn't go out with the other stuff. Told me he was not going to be that person that put out snow for collection lol!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Jersm » May 06, 2013 9:52 pm

I was going to recommend a shop vac too but i got beat to it. :D
Jersm

Postby Lucy » May 08, 2013 6:20 pm

At the risk of my husband having me committed for vacuuming the lawn I decided to rake and just pluck out the seeds that have sprouted :oops: . I have replaced my seed feeders with a hummingbird and oriole feeder. Next fall I will try to fashion a saucer under the seed feeders. Thank you!
Lucy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas