Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Advice needed Replacing a ground-level bed with a raised one

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Advice needed Replacing a ground-level bed with a raised one

Postby DonnaMurphy » Apr 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello, all,

I am fairly new to gardening and landscaping, and I need some advice. My back garden was neglected for many years, and last year I started clearing and I planted a few perennials, and most of them cam back this year. But its a struggle, because the soil is very compacted in that area. My plan is to take out the plants, build a raised bed with bricks, turn and break up the soil a bit then fill it with really good stuff, then put the plants back.

Will my plan work? Do my plants have a good chance of surviving the ordeal? I have astilbe, hydrangea and heuchera there.

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

Cheers!
DonnaMurphy

Re: Advice needed Replacing a ground-level bed with a raised

Postby Tara » Apr 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Donna,
I think the raised beds with some nice new soil and compost sound like a great plan given your soil conditions. (I have two new raised beds for my veggies this year!) Your plants should be fine, provided you don't leave them out of the ground for too long. And spring is a nice time to do it - though I've transplanted things in a heat wave and they've done just fine. I also recently posted an article that was in a recent issue of the magazine that might be helpful - Three transplanting techniques: http://www.canadiangardening.com/how-to ... es/a/50823
Good luck :D
Tara
Site Admin

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas