Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

New to Gardening....

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

New to Gardening....

Postby JRADuncan » Sep 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Hello Everyone and thank you for your time. I am a complete Newbie when it comes to Gardening. With first Child coming in November i decided i needed a hobby i can do at home. So Far i have 2 8.6' x 4.3' Raised Garden Beds Made, with Weed Guard attached. No Dirt in the yet.

The Place i want to put them is riddled with Weeds, Thick stems, that would easily rip through the Guard. I have been digging them up by Hand. They have 4-6 Inch roots... Its rough. Am i allowed to post a pic of them to see if anyone could identify them?

They started to grow after the land lord planted Grass along the side of the house. To say the least, there is no grass there... all weeds. :/

The Goal is to start planting food we will eat, so we don't need to go to the market as often. As i said though... i'm a complete newbie.

Thank you again for your time.
Jon
JRADuncan

Re: New to Gardening....

Postby Countryboy » Sep 08, 2013 3:41 pm

That sounds like a good start. Much easier to create yr own, good soil than to 'amend' questionable soil. :)

But two questions, first. So we can get an idea of what yr working with.

Weed Guard? Would that be landscape fabric attached to the bottom?

And... how high are the raised beds?
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby JRADuncan » Sep 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Ya i think weed guard is the Brand Name, but yes Landscape Fabric. Link below to the stuff, except i got the stuff that is specifically made for veggies (holds heat better)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/Landscaping/GrassCollectionLandscapeFabrics/PRDOVR~0591888P/Select+Weed+Barrier%2C+Commercial+Grade.jsp?locale=en

The Raised Beds were made from 2x6x104.25 Wood. Cut one in half for the shorter sides.
JRADuncan

Postby Countryboy » Sep 09, 2013 7:29 am

So the beds are two 2x6s (11") deep?... which should be good. *Unless u have weed stalks sticking up into that space.*

The raised beds should be placed on a flat surface, so u'll have to level out the ground, and weeds, underneath them... however u can accomplish this. U shouldn't need to actually dig them out, altho that might be preferable. The soil in the beds will bury any roots.

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby JRADuncan » Sep 09, 2013 1:26 pm

6 inches deep, not 11.

8.68 feet by
----------
|_____| 4.34 feet

6 inches Deep
JRADuncan

Postby Countryboy » Sep 09, 2013 5:05 pm

OK... 6"... good enuf for most plants.

Dunno whether u've been looking thru the CG site, but I found a good piece on raised beds similar to yours. U already have yours built but there's some installation and filling ideas here.

http://www.canadiangardening.com/design ... d/a/1306/2

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas